Day 118 Washington to Muscatine - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2021

Day 118 Washington to Muscatine

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was our last day in Iowa.  We rode to Muscatine, where we will cross the Mississippi River into Illinois in the morning.  The first 25 miles, we were on a moderately busy two lane road with no shoulder.  It didn't feel unsafe, but required all our attention to the traffic, so I didn't take any pictures during that part of the the ride.  The rest of the route was much better on roads with very little traffic.  

Today's old barn
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Iowa River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Attractive farm home
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think weeping willows are one of the most beautiful trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seed corn - the male pollinator rows have been removed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The farmer behind the cloud of dirt is putting the finishing touches on preparing this field.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near the end of the route, we finally reached the Mississippi River.  We didn't get the views of the river I expected.  South of Muscatine, the riverfront is lined with industrial plants.

This is the Louisa Generating Plant
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a Bayer CropScience plant. It manufactures herbicides.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grain Processing Corporation - "manufacturer and marketer of corn based products"
Heart 1 Comment 0
We finally got a view of the river in downtown Muscatine. We'll cross the the river near here tomorrow morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 4,399 miles (7,080 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0