Day 111 - Perry to Ames - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2021

Day 111 - Perry to Ames

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had fun today.  It was so nice to start out knowing we had only 36 miles to ride. We were looking forward to riding the High Trestle Trail again, too.  The forecast high was upper 90's, so we wanted to get to Ames by noon.

The few miles of gravel leaving Perry were easy to ride.  It felt good to get that behind me early in the ride.  

There were pretty wildflowers along the road leaving Perry
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Last night's motel was a Super 8, and, while OK for a simple room, they are pretty bad for breakfast.  We skipped eating anything before we left, knowing there was a Casey's convenience store less than ten miles away.  We stopped at the Casey's in Woodward.  They have a very good breakfast pizza.  The store manager, Sandy, was so impressed that we had ridden all the way from Florida that she bought our breakfast.

Thank-you, Sandy. We appreciate your kindness.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We left Casey's and rode through Woodward to the High Trestle Trail trailhead.

Mural in Woodward
Heart 3 Comment 0
Trailhead parking
Heart 1 Comment 0
Woodward trailhead
Heart 1 Comment 0
The High Trestle Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching the trestle
Heart 2 Comment 0

There is an overlook just before you get on the trestle with historical information and great views.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The trestle 130 feet above the Des Moines River
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Des Moines River from the trestle. The water level is very low.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The steel frames over the trestle are lit with LED lights at night.  It is a very popular time to ride across.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWith LED lights at night, it must look nice to bike if they allow it.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonBiking it at night is a big thing - very popular.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
I would love to do this crossing at night when it is lit up.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is amazing, what a work of art
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Image not found :(
Even the bike racks continue the theme.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There is another trailhead in Madrid, just east of the trestle.  There we met this family going for a ride on the trail.  Henesis and Kevin ride their fat tire bikes in the snow!  I can't even imagine wanting to cycle in the snow.

Henesis, Kevin, Lukas and Tony getting ready to ride across the trestle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kerry here... A sign for motorists where the trail crosses a busy road in Madrid. Personally, I wish all drivers would obey this, and let cyclists cross roads at their choosing.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed! I hate to time the gap, (looking at oncoming traffic both ways) only for them to slow down and stop, plugging up the road, and by then, I've emergency stopped without downshifting, and need to walk the bike a few steps to crank into low gear to get started again, but only after traffic from the other direction has cleared. Bad for traffic, bad for cyclists.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
This is another thing I wish all trails would do. Locals know this info, but visitors don't. The Withlacoochee State Trail (our home trail) really could use this, but the state of Florida will not allow it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short underpass on the trail
Heart 2 Comment 0

At Slater, we left the trail and headed north to Ames.  We had a two lane road with a good shoulder for most of the way.

An old silo, I think
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just south of Ames are the Iowa State agricultural farms.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We wondered what these large white structures were.  Hay storage?  Grain storage?  As we got closer, they aroma was more like manure.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The sign identified this group of structures as part of a composting facility.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this scenic place is the Iowa State University dairy farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got to Ames by noon and stopped at Dairy Queen for lunch.  Ron saw our bike outside and came in to talk.  He's from Minneapolis and has  done a lot of cycle touring around the world.  It's always fun to meet fellow cycle tourers.

Kerry and Ron
Heart 2 Comment 2
Ron ZiolsHi, J&K,
Bravo on your travel adventures. Nice pictures of your journey.
Ron
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ron ZiolsHi Ron,
We dipped into your journals on CG - lots of great reading! We will enjoy and learn from your posts.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We're staying over in Ames tomorrow and plan to visit a botanical garden.  The heat is expected to start to abate tomorrow.

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 4,154 miles (6,685 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0