Day 109 - Lake View to Jefferson - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2021

Day 109 - Lake View to Jefferson

Heart 2 Comment 0

Most of today's ride was great.  We started out with about 20 miles on the Sauk Rail Trail between Lake View and Carroll.

Lake View is a pretty town. I have to admit that we saw the lake, but didn't ride down to get pictures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the entrance to the Sauk Rail Trail in Lake View. It goes about 20 miles to the town of Carroll.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Most of the trail is not this closed in, but it was quiet and peaceful this morning.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Michael and Diane RuddockMakes us wish we were there.....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Michael and Diane RuddockI hope we will be riding together soon.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

A few miles down the trail, we met this cyclist.  Dennis lives nearby and likes to do 20 mile rides on the trail.  We rode and talked with him until we reached our first stop in Breda and he neared his turn around point.

Dennis - we enjoyed meeting you. Best wishes for your future.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw this large field of sunflowers along the trail. We've seen a few sunflower fields, but none as beautifully in full bloom as this.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rose SamsonO my! a beautiful sunflower field! you can smile while passing by.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithYes, a view like this always makes us smile.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

When we got off the trail in Carroll, we took US 30 for 27 miles to Jefferson.  The first 19 miles were fine.  It's a pretty busy highway, but we had a good shoulder, only a few small hills and a tailwind.  We were happy.  Then, 8 miles before Jefferson, we lost the shoulder, lost the tailwind and started feeling the 90 degree heat.  We were not happy.  Kerry tried riding on the gravel shoulder, but is was so rough we soon went back on the pavement each time he moved over there.  There were a lot of semi's and some passed close to us.  We never felt unsafe because the gravel shoulder was there if we needed it, but it was tense.  It was very good to get to Jefferson.  It is a nice town with the traditional courthouse square.  Jefferson also has a carillon next to the courthouse.  It did not play while we were in town.

Jefferson Centennial Building
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWow! look at this building very pretty!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Greene County Courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
Carillon
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGlad you got thru that safe!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After we rode around and admired downtown, we had lunch at the Junkyard Cafe.  Kerry had the Monday special, liver and onions.  He loved it and said it was the best liver and onions he had had in a restaurant in a long time.  A good, relaxing lunch and pleasant conversation with the staff and some other patrons eased our tensions and put the unhappy final miles behind us. 

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 4,081 miles (6,568 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0