Day 98 - Fremont, OH to Fostoria, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2020

Day 98 - Fremont, OH to Fostoria, OH

Wind!

Heart 1 Comment 0

After fierce headwinds/crosswinds today, we finally arrived at the hotel after 6PM.  I think this is our latest arrival this summer.  It was a challenging cycling day.

We started the day with a visit to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museum  in Fremont.  The guided tour of the home and time to visit the museum and library would have been at least two hours.  We chose not to do that today with a 50+ mile route ahead.  We did spend about half an hour walking around the grounds.  The home is surrounded by a wooded park called "Spiegel Grove".  It was very pretty and busy with local residents who come here to walk.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Spiegel Grove
Heart 1 Comment 0

I saw one particular large, beautiful tree and went over to get a picture.  It turned out to be an historically significant tree.  With a nod to Scott Anderson, here is my important tree.

Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a beautiful tree. I wonder how long before 1776 it was growing here?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Also seen at Spiegel Grove, but not part of the Hayes Museum, this classic car.  When we were on college, this was Kerry's aspirational car, a Triumph TR 6.

It is still a great looking car.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left Fremont on the North Coast Inland Trail, continuing our route from yesterday.

Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles down the trail, we arrived in the little town of Clyde.  On the edge of town, there was a HUGE factory that stretched for almost a mile.  We saw that it was a Whirlpool factory and learned that it is the largest residential washing machine factory in the world.

We learned this at the Clyde Museum.  It was fun to find another small local museum open.  It was small, but had some interesting artifacts.  

This car - whose year I don't remember - is on permanent loan from the Hayes Museum on Fremont. It is called something like "Doctor's Runabout".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old Clyde F.D. fIre engine
Heart 1 Comment 0
Anyone know this one? It was one artifact new to me. It's a mail cancelling machine.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rich McKayToo old for me...
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayYou mean they weren't still using this in Idaho in the 21st century?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Old switchboard
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this Whirlpool washer was made here in Clyde in the early 1950's according to our guide. I would have thought it was older than that.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left the North Coast Inland Trail about 17 miles into our route, turning to the southwest to circle back to Fostoria.  That's when the fun began!   We had a 20-25 mph headwind for most of the remaining 35 miles.  I didn't take many more pictures, as most of my energy was going into maintaining forward momentum while keeping the bike upright.  (Kerry gets a little credit for his assistance in that endeavor!)

We saw some soybeans that looked as if they may be about ready for harvest.  (We don't know much about soybeans, but they were all brown!)  Kerry wanted to compare the beans to the green ones he picked before.

Mature soybeans?
Heart 1 Comment 0
A closer view of the bean pods
Heart 1 Comment 0
And here are the beans. Kerry read that when ready for harvest, the beans rattled in the pod. These did not.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Something else besides corn and beans - banana peppers.

The picture didn't capture it, but the peppers are a very colorful mix of greens, yellows and reds.
Heart 1 Comment 0

More variety in food growing - apple trees.  These are the first apple trees we've noticed this summer.

Heart 1 Comment 0

For Mike and the other barn lovers, today's entry.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,248 miles (5,227 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0