Day 97 - Fostoria, OH to Fremont, OH - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2020

Day 97 - Fostoria, OH to Fremont, OH

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had a lovely day today cycling on quiet roads and a rail trail.  The sky was as blue as the sky gets.  Because of our crazy route, we worked into a headwind and cruised with a tailwind at different times.  The tailwind came during the last 20 miles, which was great.

As we've said, we're just meandering around northwest Ohio until it's time to go back to Florida at the end of the month.  Our routes seem aimless, but it's a good, relaxed, no worries kind of aimless.  I might learn to enjoy this plan-as-you-go mode of travel after all!  

We left Fostoria this morning and rode to Elmore to the North Coast Inland Trail.  We wound around through the country enjoying the sights.  As usual, I have some old farm building pictures to share.

Old barn shaded by old tree
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLooks similar to ours back in NY
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

One road we were on was only one lane wide.  Fortunately, there were just two pick-ups who passed us on this road and they both moved off the pavement to pass.

Ohio has had good roads. We've encountered very little bad pavement.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerGlad everything worked out for on that narrow road WOW
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mother Nature has almost completely reclaimed this house.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWouldn’t you like to check out the inside? I beat that would make great images!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
And these former greenhouses, as well
Heart 1 Comment 0

We went through Woodville, Ohio, which bills itself as the "Lime Capital of the United States".  Wikipedia says that two of the ten largest limestone quarries in the United States are in Woodville.

Turning limestone into lime
Heart 2 Comment 0

We got on the North Coast Inland Trail at Elmore.   Elmore is an attractive little town and we decided to stop for lunch at the Portage Inn.  We both ordered the daily special, Taco Salad, which was possibly the worst taco salad either of us has ever had.

Heart 2 Comment 3
Mike ObermeyerCan't wait to get to Florida?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerA bad taco salad - ummm
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike ObermeyerNext week when the lows are in the 40's we'll be ready to get back to Florida!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

After lunch, we rode the trail to Fremont.  It is an excellent trail and we had that tailwind I mentioned before, so we arrived happy - and hungry - at our hotel.

The North Coast Inland Trail in Elmore
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the trail
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerHey, you even had some shade to go with that tailwind.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Tomorrow, we will ride the trail on to Bellevue and then circle back to Fostoria before continuing west on our aimless route.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 3,196 miles (5,143 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltIf you get down to southwest Ohio, there is a fairly good network of bikeways. Here is the link to the trails. I live within a mile of Iron horse and a mile and a half from its intersection with Creekside. I ride them almost daily. Recently repaved and new gravel shoulders, and in process of installing new intersections with streets. Still officially blocked off, but most folks go around barricades to ride/walk, etc anyhow.

https://www.ohiobikeways.net/swregionlist.htm
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Lou Harmingo, guys, go. But, get home safe!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago