Day 90 - Shipshewana, IN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2020

Day 90 - Shipshewana, IN

Yesterday, we got wet when the rain was forecast for later in the day.  Today we didn't ride - there was a 50-60% chance of rain and possible severe thunderstorms all day.  It's been dry and hot.  Some heavy rain is still forecast for overnight.  We really didn't mind at all taking this bonus day off.  We worked on routes and changed it all again.  We must be on version 837 by now.  We decided not to ride up into Michigan, but go on east into Ohio and spend the next three weeks or so there.  Kerry is from Ohio and we've done a lot of cycling there, but we have some new places to ride next month along with the old favorites.

We went out to see some of Shipshewana today.   There is a huge auction place just up the street.

We'd never seen a livestock auction and a horse auction was in progress today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Inside the auction, we were clearly the only tourists.  The room was full of farmers - Amish and not - watching and bidding.  Each horse was sold in less than a minute.

Heart 2 Comment 0

I made this short video.  (I haven't spent the time yet to figure out video editing, so it's just as I recorded it.)

After watching the auction for a while, we walked to a meat and cheese shop (very tourist oriented) and bought some provisions for the room.  The food was just OK.  Our best purchase was mocha fudge.

Amish buggies are all over town.  We were a little surprised at the speed they can travel.

Theses horses were waiting patiently while they were parked.
Heart 3 Comment 0

This little koi pond was in front of one of the shops.  

A random pretty thing to post in the blog
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerFYI - my koi were bigger than that, (about 15") but I had them for over ten years.
Brings back memories.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Tomorrow we are headed southeast with a 14-18 mph wind from the northwest in the forecast.  You'd think we'd have learned by now not to put too much stock in weather forecasts, but, as they say, hope springs eternal!  We're expecting a wonderful day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0