Day 73 - Baraboo, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2020

Day 73 - Baraboo, WI

Planning as we go, not our usual modus operandi

We enjoyed another restful zero day today.  I'm ashamed to tell you how late we slept, so I won't.   Let's just say if there were a breakfast to miss, we would have missed it by hours!

We did manage to devote some time to route planning.  We've diverged so much from the route I posted before we left, I'll give you the current plan through central Michigan.  After Michigan, we plan to spend some time cycling in Ohio before renting a car to drive home.  That's the current plan, but of course it's all subject to change.

Kerry here...

Michigan will be a change of pace, as our goal is to create a route that strings together a series of trails.  The reason for this is two-fold:

  1.  Generally the trails are flatter than the roads and we're growing tired of climbing hills (I know, we're wimps)
  2. In our past experience in Michigan, we have noticed that not all Michigan drivers are as friendly to cyclists as those in IA, MN, WI and oh, about 46 other states :-)

Some of the trails we'd like to ride include: 

  • Kalamazoo River Valley Trail 
  • Battle Creek Linear Park 
  • Paul Henry-Thornapple Trail
  • White Pine Trail
  • Pere Marquette State Trail
  • Fred Meijer Heartland Trail
  • Fred Meijer Clinton-Ionia-Shiawassee Trail

Jeanna mentioned that she was going to show the current plan.  Actually, I've included 3 maps - the original planned NTF route (which was a change from the WTF route in itself), the route we've actually ridden to date, and  the planned route thru central MI.

This is the plan we created before we left home
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the route we've actually ridden thru 8/13
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a rough plan for the next 15 riding days.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Alain AbbateYour new route has you passing just a few miles North of Delphi Indiana. Worth a side trip to see the only high school in the nation known as the Oracles???
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateWe thought of going to Delphi but weren't sure whether it would be wise.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0