Day 67 - Chippewa Falls, WI to Osseo, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2020

Day 67 - Chippewa Falls, WI to Osseo, WI

Heart 1 Comment 0

I have just a short post today.  We finally found another open museum, the Chippewa Valley Historical Museum in Eau Claire.  It has abbreviated hours and didn't open today until noon.  That gave us until 11AM to leave our hotel this morning.  After a three day stay, it was nice to have time to get organized and re-packed without needing to hurry.

We rode the Old Abe Trail to it's southern end in Eau Claire.  It was a good ride.  The trail runs right along the highway, so not much to see, but it was a safe and pleasant way to get from town to town.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Coming into Eau Claire, we passed Banbury Place.  We remembered this from our previous visit.  It is a huge former tire factory, closed in 1992, whose owners have plans for repurposing the space.  We didn't see much evidence of use anywhere in the complex except on place which had an entrance awning and said "Galleries".    All these cars must be parked there for a reason, but nothing looked like residential apartments or business offices to us.

Banbury Place, former Goodrich Uniroyal tire factory, closed in 1992.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In downtown Eau Claire, the Old Abe Trail connects with Chippewa River Trail.  The downtown area seemed to have an extensive trail network.

The Eau Claire River flows into the Chippewa River in downtown.  The twisting and turning waterways make a need for numerous bridges.  At least two and pedestrian/cyclist only.

Bridge across the Eau Claire River that is part of the Chippewa River Trail.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another bridge for "us" only
Heart 3 Comment 0

We made our way through the city and over to Carson Park where the museum is located.  Next door to the historical museum was the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp and Museum, but it was closed.  I would really have like to see that one.  The historical museum was OK.  It had the expected displays on Native American culture, the European immigrants, the various wars, farming, logging and local industry.  One display gave me a little pause - the "I'm not really that old" type of pause.

A "portable" computer in an historical museum. Kerry here... In the early 80's, I actually used one of these things. If we were on call, we had to take it home with us. We all referred to it as the "HP Luggable". Also, with its 300 baud dial-up modem and tiny screen, it was really fun trying to get anything done. Usually it was quicker just to go back in to the office :-)
Heart 1 Comment 0
And cell phones
Heart 1 Comment 0

It feels strange to see things in a history museum that didn't exist until you were an adult.

After the museum, we had no more trail and rode on local roads and state highways until we got to Osseso.  I was seriously disheartened to learn that the motel's advertised guest laundry is out of service.  We really need to do some clothes soon.  At least we are outside all day!

Tomorrow is a short day - no laundry at the motel, but maybe we can find one in town.

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 2,047 miles (3,294 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0