Day 64 - Rice Lake, WI to Chippewa Falls, WI - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2020

Day 64 - Rice Lake, WI to Chippewa Falls, WI

Unexpected trouble

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had to pull out some extra layers this morning, but it was a very good ride today.  It rained overnight, as predicted, and it was very overcast all day.  The temperature was in the low 60's when we started and it only warmed up a few degrees.  Tights and long sleeves felt good.  We also had the magic combination of downhill grade and a tailwind much of the ride.  That felt good, too!

Just south of Cameron is the McFarland-Cascade plant that makes utility poles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw many miles of corn fields today and a number of large grain elevators.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake Chetek - boaters out on this chilly, cloudy Sunday.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scenic old silo
Heart 2 Comment 0
It takes a lot of wood to get through winter up here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A large pile of fracking sand waiting to be processed. We passed 3 large sand operations within a 2 mile span. Wisconsin is the largest producer of fracking sand in the country (and you thought Wisconsin only produced cheese).
Heart 1 Comment 0
Northern White Sand complex near New Auburn. A large operation that needs a large number of hopper cars. We counted 12 rail sidings, all full of cars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A string of tankers used to transport molten sulfur. Molten sulfur is used in the manufacture of fertilizer and we had passed a fertilizer plant a few miles back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Does anyone else know about stamping a white horse to make a wish? I grew up with it and still can't see a white horse without doing it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This person likes old gas station memorabilia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This definitely a llama with some goats and sheep.
Heart 2 Comment 0
They planted wildflowers instead of grass - very pretty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scenic old silo and shed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Klinger Farm Market They sell all locally grown produce and advertise that they pick their corn several times a day, so you get the absolute freshest possible. It made me wish we had a place to cook some.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat looks so good....
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedWet it and put it in microwave for 3 minutes each ear
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
More vegetables
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our good friend Gail makes the world's best peanut butter balls - no need to buy these and be disappointed!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThey are called buckeyes here in Ohio...
Yummy!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltKerry is from Ohio and we call them buckeyes as well - probably my favorite candy.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
These goats were on Klinger's farm
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw all these birds in a field just outside Chippewa Falls. At first we thought of sand hill cranes, but that's not right. I didn't get a very close picture. Can anyone identify them?
Heart 3 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltNot enough detail to be sure, but wild turkeys look like that and run in flocks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_turkey
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Scott AndersonWhy are you sure they aren’t sandhill cranes? That’s what they look like to me.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonNecks not light grey and not long enough and no bright red on the top of the head. I know it is not a good photo to see details.
http://hipsterbirders.blogspot.com/2012/03/featured-feathered-friend-sandhill.html
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltYou were right about wild turkeys. We've seen many more since I took this picture and can recognize them from a little distance now.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

Kerry here... Just as we pulled into Klinger Farm Market, I heard my seat make a noise and felt my seat move. (This has happened a few times before - if I move too far forward I can push the nose of the seat down.)  I didn't think much about it, I just got out the allen key and repositioned the nose.  However, when I was putting the bike away at the hotel, I noticed the seat felt loose.  When I took a close look, I saw that I had cracked the seat frame.  I'm going to try and find a welder tomorrow and see it it can be fixed.  Otherwise, I'll have to call RANS and order a new seat bottom and have them overnight it to us.  Luckily, we had already planned to spend 2 more days in Chippewa Falls which should give me time to get it fixed.  

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,949 miles (3,137 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0