Day 31 - Calmar, IA to Le Roy, MN - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2020

Day 31 - Calmar, IA to Le Roy, MN

Heart 2 Comment 0

We left Calmar after a delicious breakfast at the lovely Lavender Fields Inn.

The bike had spend the night in the garage, but she had a nice place to wait for us this morning.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that looks like a beautiful place%!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
At breakfast we had a medley of fried potatoes (white, yellow, purple and sweet) that came from Jeff's garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another photo of the Inn's vegetable garden. Jeff grows enough potatoes, onions and other vegetables to serve his guests year round.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeff also likes flowers. He had to get permission from MN DOT to plant these along the road right-of-way.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our ride started with 20 miles on the Prairie Farmer Trail.

Heart 3 Comment 0
This memorial was at the beginning of the trail in Calmar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a nice trail with a mixture of wooded and open areas. We didn't have the miles of "tree tunnels" we ride through on some trails.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This section was beautiful, but it's nice to get out in the open as well.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped in the town of Ridgeway midway along the trail and found this yard art.

Giant rooster or miniature windmill?
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLove to find this kind of art!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
And we saw this in the convenience store. A nicotine delivery system just for cyclists??
Heart 2 Comment 0
The store also had this ancient artifact.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The trail ends in Cresco.  There was a town park with a historic home and some rail cars, but it was all closed.  We really miss visiting all the local museums and historic sights on this trip.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After we left the trail, we were back in the midst of farms and fields.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Between Cresco and Lime Springs, this is what the road looked like. I had to keep the speed below 15 MPH as the bike would not track well because of the grooves. (I hate having to brake on downhills :-) ) - K.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I also very careful not to veer off onto the shoulder. The shoulder had been graded to about 1" below the road surface but not yet filled in. I have no idea when they plan to finish the job, because there was no construction activity, nor were there any Work Zone signs.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through an Amish community with a number of farms.

Heart 3 Comment 1
We liked the wheels decorating the fence here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This horse ran along beside us the length of the farm.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The last town we visited in Iowa was Lime Springs.

Heart 2 Comment 0
A library, post office and bar - all an Iowa town needs!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI’d have to make that an overnight. That is so cool
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
The railroad seems to have been very important to the development of all these towns.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A few miles before the end of our route, we entered Minnesota.  They know how to use rumble strips in a road shoulder!

I wish all main roads had shoulders like this!! Too bad we only got to enjoy a couple of miles of it before we turned off.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 737 miles (1,186 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0