Day 94 Miramichi, NB - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2019

Day 94 Miramichi, NB

Heart 2 Comment 0

I guess we can't expect to have two days in a row as terrific as yesterday.  Today's route was along highways away from the water through mostly rural areas.  We only went through two towns all day.

We did pass a few homes along the way.  Several of them had  hand-crafted items for sale. 

The two objects on the left are containers for trash. This style seems to be the most common form in rural New Brunswick and appear at the end of most driveways. We suspect they are designed to be animal proof.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So... Did they buy the car to match the porch, or paint the porch to match the car??
Heart 3 Comment 0

There are Acadian flags at many homes and businesses.  This is the largest one we saw today.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We saw another moose warning sign, but still no moose.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we saw moose calls for sale.

The guy said he made these of birch bark.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerMount one on your machine, maybe you’ll see more moose!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We didn't buy a moose call, but just a little way down the road, look what we found!

Moose tracks on the road
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can see where the moose walked out into the shoulder and then back off the road. Very cool!
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was hot today and we had a strong headwind most of the way.  We were more than ready to get to our motel room at the end.  With less than a mile to go, Ride with GPS did this to us.

There was a metal barricade all the way across the road, but someone had bent the left end back enough for Kerry to walk the bike through.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThe moose probably bent it back!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
It's an old drawbridge. It appears someone set fire to the control house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the far end, the barricade completely blocked access to the road. We were very lucky that this other cyclist was there. After we dropped the panniers, he helped us lift the bike over.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Kerry here...  I really can't state how lucky we were that Ashland rolled up just as we reached the barricade.  If he hadn't appeared, we would have had to turn around and go back and take a different bridge across the river. Even unloaded,  Jeanna & I could not have lifted the bike over the barricade.

Thank-you, Ashland!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDid you get a chance to buy Ashland a coffee? Kindness is so cool.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We'll be here in Miramichi for two nights.  R&R and some sightseeing planned for tomorrow.

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 3,558 miles (5,726 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0