Day 86 Rusticoville, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2019

Day 86 Rusticoville, PEI

Heart 2 Comment 1

Our B&B last night was one of the best of our trip so far.  We had a beautiful, spacious room, a beautiful garden view out the large picture window and it was immaculately clean and very quiet.  Since we both went to sleep by 8PM, we didn't spend much time enjoying the extra space and the view, but we slept great!  Breakfast was good, but the best part was the conversation with the owners, Brenda and Ed.  They are friendly and interesting people and we had a good time talking with them.  This picture captures Brenda's personality.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride was almost perfect - sunny, warm, pastoral views and low traffic.  Only the numerous hills kept the day from being perfect!

Heart 2 Comment 0
Nursing calf. This is the first calf we've noticed here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We saw our first group of touring cyclists today.  There were about 20 of them in the group.  Not far behind the group was their SAG van & trailer, but is passed by before we could read the name of the tour operator.

Many were wearing the same jersey, but we couldn't read it to see the name of the tour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice mailbox decoration
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLove the creativity ~ darn cool!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We next rode along the north coast of the island through the PEI National Park.  This took us past some of PEI's famous red sand beaches.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Kerry is trying out the water. He didn't go much farther in. The couple on the left in the picture were out cycling today and live in Gatineau, QC. Pierre and Sylvie, they are the second couple from Gatineau we've talked to this week.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Kerry here...

The water temp was much like that at Fenwick Island.  I used the excuse that we still had 15 miles to go for not going in farther.  Truth was that my toes were numb!  However there were many people swimming, like the couple in the picture.  More power to them.

Back to Jeanna...

We stopped to have lunch at Richard's, which may be PEI's best known casual seafood place, but the line was soooo long.  We decided to order from the unbusy place next door and it was fine.

We chose not to stand in this line. No food is that good. We actually ate here two years during Two Far 2017. We chose to eat at the Bluewater Grill which was right next door. The man and woman with the three young kids walking on the left ate at the Bluewater Grill as well. They are a very nice bilingual family having lived in Toronto, Boston and now Quebec City. I think the parents are originally from Quebec. We enjoyed talking with them. Do you see our bike in this picture?
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're staying at the Pines Motel in Rusticoville.  We stayed here in 2017 as well. As soon as we rolled in, the owner, who happened to be outside, broke into a big smile and said "I remember you!".  A long chat about our travels followed.

Crossing the bridge, we saw assorted floats in the water.  The ones arranged in lines are growing oysters underneath.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that is really interesting!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The ones just scattered around are holding the socks for growing mussels.

Mussel socks. They're a little hard to see - near the far shoreline.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We walked across the street for dinner and had local haddock and scallops.  It was very good.   These bags were in the restaurant lobby - waiting to become tomorrow's fries, I guess.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 3,252 miles (5,234 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0