Day 83 Charlottetown, PEI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2019

Day 83 Charlottetown, PEI

We had a very relaxing day today.  After a leisurely breakfast talking with couples from Germany and the UK, we went out and explored downtown Charlottetown.

There were several whimsical sculptures downtown. This life size bluefin tuna has scales made from spoons.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spoon scales
Heart 3 Comment 0
A great blue heron
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fox and kit
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a big, happy sunflower
Heart 3 Comment 0

We walked along the Charlotte Harbour waterfront

Sailboats in the marina
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yes, it's 2019
Heart 2 Comment 0
Holland America MS Zaandam
Heart 3 Comment 0

On the waterfront were some informational signs about the history of the Confederation and Charlottetown's role.  The Charlottetown Conference in 1864 led to the agreement among the Maritime Provinces and Upper and Lower Canada to join to form the country of Canada.  This is a sculpture of William Henry Pope, PEI lawyer and politician who was a leader in the pro confederation movement.  Here he is supposed to be welcoming people from Quebec to the conference.  A companion sculpture in Quebec depicts one of their leaders welcoming Pope's group to the Quebec Conference a month later.  Charlottetown is known as the Birthplace of Confederation, even though PEI did not actually join the confederation until 1873.

Heart 1 Comment 0
He welcomed me to Charlottetown too.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerJeanna, can I borrow Kerry and his box of parts on my Canada tour?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

After lunch, Kerry decided to adjust the tension of the timing chain.  While trying to adjust the idler pulley, he discovered that he needed an extra spacer to make the adjustment, but he did not have one in his box of bike parts.   We got online and found a bike shop that was within walking distance.  When we got there, they had exactly the part he needed which made him very happy.  

The bike is now all tuned up and ready to ride again on Thursday.  We're going to be here again tomorrow for more off the bike time. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
DAVID FAULKNERReally enjoying hour PEI entries
Your informing this Canadian of details of his history ..I'm sure I've just forgotten eh! RIGHT
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERDave,

What surprises me is how much I'm learning about Canadian/U.S. history (especially conflicts) that I've never heard about before.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago