Day 79 Moncton, NB - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 12, 2019

Day 79 Moncton, NB

It rained, we pedaled

Heart 2 Comment 0

I was going to write that I only needed four words to say what I needed to about today.  "It rained, we pedaled."  Those of you who know me in "real life" know that I am not a woman of few words.  I have to embellish a little.

We started out with a visit to the 8th Hussars Regimental Museum in Sussex.  It was very educational to us, with our limited knowledge of Canadian military history.  The 8th Hussars participated in the Canadian victory over the German army at the Battle of Vimy Ridge during WWI.  This was the first time that all four divisions of the Canadian Expeditionary Force fought together for their country and it is considered a milestone in Canada's sense of national unity and achievement.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

We learned another origin of a common expression.  This one was totally new to us.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also read this sad story.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Rain was forecast to begin in the early afternoon.  When we left the museum at 10:00, the rain had already started.  It wasn't heavy, but continued as a steady light-moderate rain the whole ride.  Since it was only in the low 60's, we stopped and dressed for cold weather.

We still enjoyed the ride despite the rain.  There was a mix of smooth, relatively fast going on provincial highways and rougher, but more scenic, secondary roads.  I kept the camera stowed away because of the rain, so no more pictures from today.

Kerry was looking for a bike shop and we found Bent Spokes just a couple of miles from our hotel.  We met James, the owner, who was very helpful and let us park the bike inside out of the rain while we were there.  He rides a recumbent and has ridden a recumbent tandem once.  I think he said it was a RANS Screamer.  We had fun talking bikes with him.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,042 miles (4,896 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
DAVID FAULKNERThis Canadian found your details from WW! very interesting.
your positive attitude of riding in the rain is commendable.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithIt's easier to be positive about riding in the rain when you're clean, dry and well fed in your hotel room writing about it :)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago