Day 77 Fredericton, NB - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2019

Day 77 Fredericton, NB

Today's Bridge-to Bridge Walk. It was a beautiful 3.7 mile walk along the Saint John River. Fredericton's riverfront is very clean and the paths are well used. Shannon (see below in the blog) told us that the trail system is plowed before the roads in the winter and it is used year round for walking, jogging, biking and cross country skiing.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 We spent a ridiculous amount of time today trying to get a working phone.  Originally, we just planned to buy a Canadian SIM Card for my phone, but Tracfone refused to unlock my phone because I have only had it for 10 months and there is a 12 month minimum before they will issue an unlock code.  We ended up taking a cab to Walmart where we bought the cheapest cell phone they had.  (Cheap is relative here in Canada - we paid  $70 for a little flip phone - almost identical to the one Kerry has that was about  $15).  Then we had to buy the minimum minutes we thought we'd need for another $30.   The catch is that the minutes are only for use within Canada.  There were no reasonably priced pre-paid plans that let us make calls to the U.S.

To make calls to the U.S., I thought I could use my Tracfone when we had WIFI, but  that turned out not to be the case.  Tracfone only supports WIFI phone service on the Verizon network, and mine is AT&T.  

After doing more research, and calling Tracfone customer support again, I thought that we had found an option to make calls to the U.S.  The Tracfone rep said that I could install WhatsApp to use with a standard WIFI connection.  I installed the WhatsApp app, only to learn that you had to be able to to receive a text message to activate the program.  I can't set up WhatsApp until I have a working phone and I can't have a working phone without WhatsApp!  It's a true Catch-22.

I finally gave up after another hour of trying to figure out what to do.  So, we can now make calls within Canada and will use email for everything else.  It's not great, but we can live with it.

Kerry spent a long time cleaning and tuning up the bike while I was dealing with phone issues.  After we both accomplished our tasks for the day, we decided to go for a walk.  We heard there was a nice trail along the St. John River.

We heard correctly.  The trail is beautiful.  It was very busy with walkers, joggers and cyclists.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

We did what they call the "bridge to bridge loop".  The trail is just across the street from our hotel.  We started here, walked down to an old railroad trestle that is now a bike and pedestrian bridge, crossed the bridge, walked back up the north side of the river then across the Westmoreland Street Bridge.  It was a great walk. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

 At the end of the railraod bridge there was a restaurant in an old railway roundhouse.  Picaroon's Roundhouse must have been the destination of most of the people crossing the bridge.  They outdoor tables were full of folks enjoying food and beer and having a good time.  

Heart 2 Comment 0

There was a service window that more places should have!

We need more bike thru's!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view across the St. John River looking at downtown. Our hotel is right in the middle of the buildings you see
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is the Westmoreland Street Bridge we walked down to.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bridge has two on ramps that merge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ramp on the left has a turn from it's bike pathway to the pathway that goes across the bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we got off the bridge, we started talking with a jogger who passed us.  We got into a long conversation about Fredericton.  She gave us lots of information and patiently answered our questions.  We really enjoyed meeting her.

Kerry and Shannon. The lighthouse in the background was once an active, working lighthouse on the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're back on the bike tomorrow for a long 70 mile ride to Sussex.  If I don't post tomorrow, it will be because I am too tired!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThis is the funnest thing yet: " I can't set up WhatsApp until I have a working phone and I can't have a working phone without WhatsApp! It's a true Catch-22." Love it
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Michael and Diane RuddockHi Jeanna:

Because of the same issues that you encountered, we also have 2 phones, one for Canada and one for the US. However, when we are close to the border, and the cell towers, both phones work in both countries. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago