Day 74 St. Stephen, NB - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2019

Day 74 St. Stephen, NB

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerYes!!!!! Can’t wait to follow.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We made it to Canada today.  It was another hilly ride with no stops at all between Machias and St. Stephens.  We took extra water and snacks and took a couple of roadside breaks, but they were brief.  The bugs were fierce!

When we left this morning, it was near low tide.  This is how the river looked outside our room.

Low tide on the Machias River at our motel
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quite a difference from high tide yesterday afternoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Machias River a few miles up from town
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was a beautiful day to ride through the woods....
Heart 1 Comment 0
but this kept happening! This climb was over a mile long.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another blueberry barren
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of climbing leads to pretty views.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made a roadside stop at a park and boat ramp in the little community of Meddybemps.  There were some fisherman out enjoying the perfect day on Meddybemps Lake.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Not far past Meddybemps, we came into Calais where we crossed the border into St. Stephen, New Brunswick.  The border agent in the booth remembered us from our entry here two years ago!  The other two people working in the office came out to talk and check out the bike.  Everyone was so nice and friendly and welcomed us to Canada.  We have found that the Canadian reputation for niceness is well deserved.

The St. Croix River between Calais and St. Stephen
Heart 2 Comment 0
There was no one at the Canadian entry when we arrived.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a short ride to our motel from the border.  On the way, we saw this memorial and stopped by.

A memorial to the Milltown Cotton Mill workers. The mill was built in 1882 and closed in 1957. At one time, it was the second largest cotton mill in Canada.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Milltown Cotton Mill
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we ride north to an AirBNB in the little town of Harvey on the way to Fredericton.   

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,840 miles (4,571 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lou HarminHooray into Canada!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago