Day 71 Brewer, ME - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2019

Day 71 Brewer, ME

Happy Fourth

We spent today with Stan and Cathy.  We rode around, up and down all kinds of hills, without pedaling a single stroke!  Their big Ford dually carried us in air-conditioned comfort all day.

They gave us the insider's tour of Bangor and took us to the Cole Land Transportation Museum.  It is an excellent museum and we had a good time there.  My pictures aren't a good sample of what's in the museum, but here are a few.

Old gas pumps
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early commuter bus
Heart 1 Comment 0
Before snow plows and snow blowers, horse drawn rollers packed the snow down to make the road passable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I had to get a bicycle picture
Heart 2 Comment 0
Is it the oldest bicycle in New England?
Heart 2 Comment 1

After the museum, we had an excellent lunch overlooking the Penobscot River and the took a walk along a river front trail.

In the afternoon, we drove to Fort Point   State Park.  The lighthouse there is no longer open to the public, but we enjoyed walking around the grounds and watching the river.  Stan and Cathy used to anchor here when they lived on their sailboat.

Fort Point Light
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cathy checking out an apple tree
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Penobscot River flowing into the Atlantic Ocean
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
They don't sail now, but Stan says he still feels the pull of the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got back to our room about 6:30 and planned to walk across the street to the little diner where we ate last night.  The parking lot was full of cars when we got here, but when it walked across the street at 7:00, it was closed.  I did some Internet searching and found an Italian place which delivers open.  Now we're awaiting a sub and a calzone.  

It has been great to be with friends for a couple of days.  Tomorrow, we get back on the road to Canada.  We have only three more nights in Maine until we get to St. Stephen, New Brunswick.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0