Day 70 Brewer, ME - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2019

Day 70 Brewer, ME

Hilly!

Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a detour off our coastal route today to see our friends Stan and Cathy who are spending the summer in their RV outside of Bangor.  It was quite a hilly ride up from Rockport- over 3000 feet of climbing - but Stan and Cathy are worth and it gave us a great feeling of accomplishment to get here.  We only had to use our lowest gear (four on the floor - AKA walking) once.  There was a very steep hill with a traffic light at the top.  If we had to stop on that hill, we would have not been able to start again.

The day was beautiful.  It was warm and sunny with enough breeze to keep us comfortable.  We got an early start since we knew it would be slow going today.  We were on the road just after 8AM.  We climbed right away between Rockport and Camden.  We didn't go through the waterfront of Camden, so we missed all the really pretty part. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
That bill hill in the background is what we have to ride over.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next 18 miles were challenging, but we pedaled the whole way.

We had a bunch of climbs like this today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we got to Belfast, we took a trail along the waterfront.  It was very scenic, with lots of boats to look at.  There is a bicycle/pedestrian bridge across the  Passagassawakeag River.  

Belfast harbor
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waterfront trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lift at the shipyard
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nelson, your new boat is almost ready.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerBoy that is pretty
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Belfast history
Heart 1 Comment 0

North of Belfast, we went past Swan Lake.  There were lots of summer cottages around the lake and a lot of people out enjoying the water.

There were kayaks, canoes and swimmers out on the water, but I wasn't quick enough to get good pictures.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rest of the ride was not very scenic.  We rode through the country and made several rest stops.  We've had an experience in Maine we haven't had in any other state on this trip.  People always ask about the bike and our trip when we stop.  We've several people, including three today, say "Welcome to Maine" when they hear that we're traveling through.  It's a little thing, but it makes us feel good.

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 2,706 miles (4,355 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michael and Diane RuddockLove your writing style! You're both looking so fit and healthy. Miss the maps at the top in the last entries.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks, Michael. The maps are there now. We've been having problems getting a good Internet connection lately, so some things don't get added to the blog as soon as we'd like.
We hope we see you this summer.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago