Day 69 Rockport, ME - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2019

Day 69 Rockport, ME

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we rode from Wiscasset to Rockport through several coastal towns.

Coastal Maine is a scenic place to ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another Maine pond
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Wiscasset is the famous Moody's Diner. We didn't stop, but I liked the slogan on their sign.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cars for sale. See anything you like, Jerry?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old railroad trestle near Waldoboro
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped in Thomaston and got badly needed haircuts and took some cards to the post office.  Those ordinary tasks take a little more effort when traveling by bike.

Street view in Thomaston.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The next town after Thomaston was Rockland.  There were a couple of places we wanted to stop there.  As we rode into town, the sky got ominously black to the west.  We parked at the National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center and went in.  There was a discussion about putting the rain covers on the panniers, but Kerry favored the "wait and see" approach.  This resulted in his having to go out in the rain and put the covers on.  After he had rejected my suggestion that we do it before it started raining, he chose wisely not to ask me to go out and help.

We waited out the storm in the Visitors Center and learned about the work that is being done to restore shorebird populations on the Maine coast.  It was an interesting visit.

The rain had nearly stopped when we left, but it still looked stormy, so we decided to skip the lighthouse museum and go one the Rockport.  Just before we reached our motel, we saw the State of Maine Cheese Company and stopped in.  That was a great decision.  We met Cathy who told us about the cheeses, let us sample numerous things and had FRESH CHEESE CURDS!  We first had really fresh, still warm, cheese curds (squeaky cheese) in Vermont many years ago.  It has been a very long time since we have had them again.  There is just nothing like cheese curds still warm out of the vat.

Cathy - more like a hostess than a sales clerk.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We checked into our room and found that we had a quickly flowing little creek right outside our window.  It was a lovely sound to enjoy all evening.

View from our window
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 2,648 miles (4,262 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0