Day 65 Ogunquit, ME - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2019

Day 65 Ogunquit, ME

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a very good day today.  We have left the urban areas of Massachusetts behind and are back on the coast.

A few miles north of Ipswich, we were in some quiet rural areas.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw this huge stack of firewood behind a house and we commenting on it...

Heart 1 Comment 0

when we got past the house and saw this sign.  Mount Wood - great name for this business.

Heart 0 Comment 0

On the Parker River at Newbury was this busy marina.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After Newbury, we rode through the town of Newburyport.  It is another town full of historical buildings and beautiful homes.  I think I remember seeing that it was settled in 1635.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last town in Massachusetts was Salisbury Beach.  It is a beach town that made us think of Myrtle Beach - crowded and lots of tourist shops and streetside entertainment.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Now we got to New Hampshire.  It was only a 20 mile ride up the coast to Maine.  We saw a range of beach communities from packed with people and cars to huge homes on deserted rocky shores.

I think this is Hampton - it was very crowded.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Stacey BakerOur shores are always crowded because we only have 14 miles of coast :)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We didn't stop to see what was on the other side of this wall - maybe it was rocks and not sand.  For some reason, people were set up with their towels -and even chairs- all along the wall.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

North of all this madness were views like this

Heart 1 Comment 0

and this

Heart 2 Comment 0

and homes like this - though this is the largest one we saw.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We saw many cyclists today.  This guy rode past us, then turned around and stopped to talk.  

This is Ed. He and his wife have toured on their tandem. Meeting other cycle tourists is one of our favorite things.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our planned tourist stop for the day was at the Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne State Park in Rye.  It was geared towards kids, but we really enjoyed the exhibits.

The seahorses looked happy in their tank. I don't know what makes a seahorse look happy, but they did.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This horseshoe crab looked as if it were trying to crawl up the side of the tank.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pretty red anemones
Heart 1 Comment 0

They had a traveling Smithsonian sponsored exhibit called H2O Today, all about water on Earth.   We thought this information about water usage was good - and some of it surprising - knowledge to have. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through Portsmouth which turned out to be easy.  The traffic wasn't bad and the bridge crossing from Portsmouth to Kittery was no problem.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Once in Kittery, it was time to have another rest break and Kerry was in serious need of Diet Coke.  We went into two places with no fountain drinks, then I checked in Rudders, a bar and grill with emphasis on the "bar".  They had fountain Coke products and by the time Kerry parked the bike out front, Bridget had his Diet Coke poured.  The whole staff - Bridget, Jillian and Emma were very friendly and made sure we felt welcome in Maine.

Bridget & Jillian to the rescue!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLove the guy in the background too
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 2,509 miles (4,038 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0