Day 62 Framingham, MA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2019

Day 62 Framingham, MA

Rained on again

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a 54 mile ride today and stayed dry for the first 35 miles of it.  The rain started as we left our lunch break and continued the entire rest of the ride.  It was light rain and it wasn't cold, so we weren't really uncomfortable.  The worst part is getting into the motel and having to deal with all the wet gear and then cleaning the bike.  Our rain covers work well, so everything in our panniers stayed dry.  I cleaned up the rain gear, Kerry cleaned up the bike and we settled in to work on the blog and plan the next day's ride.  HORRORS!  We had no WIFI service.  Something happened at the motel and the whole place was offline.  This lasted all night and we still had no WIFI when we got up this morning.  This was so aggravating to us.  We count on being able to get online, blog, plan the next day and take care of financial stuff every evening.    What we really need from a motel is a clean, comfortable bed, a hot shower and good WIFI.  When we asked for compensation for the absence of  WIFI, the manager agreed and gave us a 33% discount off the rate.   Even though we were aggravated with the problem, we feel the manager was very fair and we appreciated  what he did. Enough of that rant.  

We didn't have any places planned to visit today.  I took some pictures as we were riding along.  

Old barn
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI agree with that travel list. WiFi is a must. Crazy right!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Old house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old brick house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old cemetery
Heart 0 Comment 0
New pavement - some things are much better new!
Heart 2 Comment 0

A little oddity we've noticed here and there in Massachusetts is this placement of mailboxes.  On this street, many of the boxes were oriented with the opening to the side instead of to the street.  Rich and Val, have you guys seen this before?

Heart 1 Comment 2
Rich McKayI have no "official" idea of why they're mounted like this. However, I've seen this before (in Prescott, AZ to be exact). I don't know whether mounting the box in this direction would be ergonomically better or worse for opening, putting mail inside and then closing the door, but it makes less of a "footprint" on the sidewalk by mounting the box in this direction. Pedestrians have a little more room to walk on by this way, and the box doesn't stick out in the roadway either.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith A. SpanglerThat is interesting.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Tomorrow is going to be warm and sunny and we have only 38 miles to ride, so it will be a good day!

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 2,363 miles (3,803 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0