Day 59 Yarmouthport, MA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2019

Day 59 Yarmouthport, MA

Heart 1 Comment 0

Sunshine and almost warm!  It was a great day - except at the end when we had to outrun an unexpected thunderstorm.  We pedaled like crazy and we  were able to beat the rain.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of the blue sky this morning. It was beautiful!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left North Truro about 9 AM and pedaled on quiet (but hilly) back roads for miles.   There were a lot of cyclists out this morning.  We saw many more cyclists than cars on some of the roads.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We pulled over when we saw this couple stopped on the roadside to be sure they didn't need anything.  They were just stopped for a snack.  It turns out that they also have a RANS tandem, the Screamer model.  We had a nice chat with them.

Cindy and Gary, owners of a RANS Screamer. Today, Gary was riding a RANS Stratus, the first recumbent we've seen in quite awhile.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow that is cool!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
It's hard to appreciate in this picture, but this was a steep hill. It wasn't the only one today.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The wildflowers were abundant today.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be loosestrife.

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=photos_index&rel-taxon=begins+with&where-taxon=Lysimachia+punctata
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithHi Bill! Haven't heard from you lately. It's nice to have you back!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

In Wellfleet, we passed the finish of a triathlon.  We saw a couple of runners coming in.  The assembled crowd cheered us as we rode by!

Heart 1 Comment 0

Shortly before we got to the beginning of the Cape Cod Rail Trail, Ride with GPS routed us on this.  It was only .25 miles, so Kerry just pushed it.  It was very soft sand.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We got on the bike trail where it begins at Wellfleet.  About 10 miles down the trail is Orleans.  The trail was very well used today, especially so at the Orleans trail head.  

There were as many bikes as cars at this intersection in Orleans.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Along the trail, there were a number of power poles that looked newly erected.  They had metal "rungs" of some sort from top to bottom.  Does anyone know what theses are?

Heart 2 Comment 0

We exited the trail at Brewster and soon came upon this small car show.  This is the Cape Cod British Car Club and they had some very cool cars.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 0
When we first met in college, the Triumph TR6 was Kerry's dream car.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bill Scott seemed to be the man in charge here. He is a really nice guy.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our last stop today was at the Cape Cod Natural History Museum in Brewster.  First, we had to find a place to park the bike. 

Our stroller
Heart 2 Comment 0

We enjoyed our visit here.  The aquarium was most interesting to me.  I saw some things I don't remember ever seeing before.

This is a moon snail eating a clam. The snail is out of it's shell (on the right) and eating the clam on the left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a deep water hermit crab.
Heart 1 Comment 0

They had  small butterfly enclosure.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMostly black butterflies are red admirals.

https://butterfly-conservation.org/butterflies/red-admiral

The others are painted lady butterflies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted_lady
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMonarchs, of course.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGiant swallowtail.

https://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/giant-swt.htm
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

When we left the museum, the sky had darkened and it looked as if it could storm any minute.  We had 8 1/2 miles to go.  We pedaled as fast as we could and made it to the B&B before the rain.  It is a good feeling to watch it rain from a dry room!

We had dinner with our friends Barbara and Anthony again tonight.  Kerry ate goat for the first time and liked it very much.  It's fun to go to restaurants with some unusual things on the menu.  We always enjoy trying new things.  We have really enjoyed spending time with Barb and Anthony this week.  The four of us are working on a plan to spend more time together next summer.

Tomorrow we will leave the Cape and ride to Plymouth, MA.  The forecast calls for a high of 83.  We're ready for summer!

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 2,262 miles (3,640 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1