Day 55 Falmouth, MA - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2019

Day 55 Falmouth, MA

Misty Cape Cod

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we started our first ever visit to Cape Cod.  It was very damp and drizzly (and chilly!) today with some light rain, so I kept the camera stowed away part of the day.

It was raining when we got up, but had stopped before we were ready to leave.  We went ahead and covered ourselves and our bags, because showers were expected.

The first 15 miles, we rode through rural Massachusetts.  I was trying to stay warm and don't remember much, but it was fine.  The first town we came to was Wareham.

Somewhere near there, we saw the first of several of these signs we passed today.  Those of you who are reading Janet Anspach-Rickey's blog may remember seeing the same sign in her journal a few weeks ago.

So, I wonder if the area is settled with the thick headed, the thick bodied, or maybe those with think wallets?
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this is the Wareham River, but I'm not sure. It's a pretty view, anyway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just past Wareham is Onset.  It has a beautiful bayfront location on Buzzard's Bay.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

To reach Cape Cod, we had to go across the Bourne Bridge.  That meant walking the bike.  The access to the bike/pedestrian crossing is a dirt path.  Garmin helped us here.  We never would have found it with directions.

Heart 2 Comment 0
It was a long walk across the bridge - over 1/2 mile.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat looks like a pain! Good job guys. Nice image too
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This is the historic Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge. It was built from 1933-1935 - the same time as the Bourne Bridge. It is used today for two seasonal tourist trains.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The town of Bourne from the Bourne Bridge - our first view of Cape Cod.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A horticultural welcome to Cape Cod
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles after crossing the Borne Bridge, we were routed onto the Shining Sea Bikeway.  It is a 10 mile rail trail which connects Falmouth and Woods Hole.  We took the roads back up to Falmouth after we saw Woods Hole and there were some big hills.  We should have gone back on the trail!

The Shining Sea Bikeway
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat trail is so nice. Did you visit the coffee shop in Woods Hole
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
This is one of the oldest continually operating cranberry bogs in Massachusetts. Not much to see right now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great Sippewissett Marsh
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the way from Woods Hole to Falmouth, we had a good view of the Nantucket Sound across the Martha's Vineyard.  You can see the ferry out there.

Heart 1 Comment 0

My last picture today is this osprey nest.  We could see two adult birds, but couldn't tell if there were babies in the nest.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We were having a fair amount of light rain on and off for the last 20 miles.  It was very nice to get into out dry comfortable room.  We were planning to go to a restaurant for dinner, but the rain has increased since we got here.  It may be a delivery night.  

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 2,122 miles (3,415 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
DAVID FAULKNERVery informative!
Wondering if the Jason Bourne character used the surname from Bourne?...silly Canadian question eh!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago