Day 53 East Greenwich, RI - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2019

Day 53 East Greenwich, RI

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we successfully avoided the rain again.  The early morning rain stopped just as we were ready to leave and the afternoon rain came after we were in.

We left Mystic and rode down to the town of Stonington where we had our first view of the Atlantic Ocean in several days.  I was told that all our views of the Long Island Sound from Connecticut did not include views of the ocean.  In Stonington, the view is open across the Block Island Sound to the Atlantic.  Stonington is a very scenic, old fishing town which had many Portuguese fishermen.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were many beautiful old homes and buildings and it seems that every resident and visitor must have a boat.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Not long after we left Stonington, we got to Rhode Island.  It was a new cycling state for us.  There was no Rhode Island sign at the border, but we did see these guys.  (That's not meant to be a comment on Rhode Island residents.)

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI think the no sign thing is because the state is the smallest of all 50 so it doesn’t qualify.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We are spending the night tonight with our friends Anthony and Barbara.  Anthony is an avid cyclist and he and his friend Will rode out to meet us.  We warned them that a loaded recumbent tandem is a slow moving vehicle, but they came anyway.  This was our view of them this afternoon.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKick it .... travelers
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We got to Anthony's house about 2PM and were able to get a good view of their front sides!

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was great to have riding company today.  They're planning to ride with us part of the way tomorrow as well.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 2,020 miles (3,251 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI hope you enjoy The trip through Rhode Island. It changes dramatically as you head north......
Reply to this comment
4 years ago