Day 132 Port Colborne, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2019

Day 132 Port Colborne, ON

Closed

Heart 1 Comment 0

Before I tell you about today, I need to make an addendum to yesterday.  Just after we arrived at our B&B, Jean-Michel, the host, invited us to join and his wife Karen, for dinner.  We were very happy to accept.  Jean-Michel had a made a delicious sauce, which we enjoyed over pasta, along with salad, bread and wine.  It was a such an enjoyable evening, sharing food and getting to know each other.

Karen and Jean-Michel Thanks for a special evening.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lillie - la reine
Heart 2 Comment 0

 

It’s to bad that Karen and Jean-Michel are giving up the B&B to do more traveling.  Their home is beautiful and they were perfect hosts.

 

Our friend Michael, who lives about two hours west of Caledonia, drove over to ride with us today.  Unfortunately, his wife Diane is on a girls’ trip with friends, so she couldn’t join us. 

Heart 2 Comment 0

 

We left the B&B about 10AM and rode to Cayuga, where we tried to visit the Haldimand County Museum.  Incorrect information from a clerk at the county office building led us to a closed museum.  Asking at a different municipal building, we got correct directions, but when we arrived, the new museum location was closed as well.  That was the end of the museum quest.

 

One last Ontario farm picture
Heart 1 Comment 0
One last old farm structure picture
Heart 1 Comment 0
I liked this view of the cows up on the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We followed the Grand River today. It was quiet today - no boats or jet skis in sight.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The river was quiet today.  There were no boats or jet skis to be seen.  Everyone is back and work and it's the first day of school.  We learned quickly that summer comes to a screeching halt the day after Labour Day.

Great blue heron
Heart 1 Comment 0
And this is Muddy, the mudcat.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Grand River empties into Lake Erie.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Closed was the word of the day.  I had found a lakeside restaurant which features Lake Erie perch and that was our destination for lunch.  We got there to find it closed.  A man I took to be the owner walked over from a house across the street and told us the summer hours ended yesterday and that he had posted that on their website – yesterday.  It was a little lake notice for us as we had checked the hours two or three days ago.  We were pretty hungry now as it had been five hours since breakfast – longer than that for Michael.  We went on along the route and in a few miles came to another restaurant at a private golf course – closed – only open for dinner today.  Then another restaurant – closed.  Five miles past the perch place, we saw a market – closed today only - and a snack bar at a miniature golf course – closed.  There was a sign on the road for a Lighthouse Bistro serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.  We went to the back of the building where the sign seemed to point and didn’t see anything.  Finally, I saw a small door.  It was unlocked and there were a few lights on, but all the tables were empty.  A woman came and asked what we needed and, of course, I said food.  It turned out that the place closed for the season yesterday and she and her husband were there cleaning and preparing to close up until next summer.  Her husband said the only thing he had left was burgers and some French fries which he would be glad to cook for us.  We gratefully accepted his offer.  The burgers and fries were good and we were so appreciative of their fixing us lunch. 

Thank you so much, Michael and Paula, for feeding the hungry!
Heart 1 Comment 0

 

After lunch, Michael headed back to Caledonia – he will have about 77 miles when he's finished – and we rode the last short seven miles to our motel.  It was another day of fun and adventure.

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 4,932 miles (7,937 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0