Day 129 Burlington, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2019

Day 129 Burlington, ON

Heart 2 Comment 0

Today was the most urban riding we've had in weeks.  The first ten miles out of Vaughan were on multi-lane roads with no bike lanes.  Even worse, the roads were in terrible condition.  The pavement was rough and uneven.  Traffic was not bad on a Saturday morning and all the drivers were polite, but it is not enjoyable cycling.  I was so busy watching the traffic, following the map and holding on to keep from getting thrown off the bike that I didn't take  any pictures.  I didn't get any interesting pictures at all today, but I will throw in a few just to break up the text.  I'll try to do better tomorrow.

We finally got into a nice residential area with bike lanes, so things got a little better.  The roads were still in bad condition in many places. We started seeing a lot of cyclists.

It was a very pretty street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We stayed on this street almost to the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Sixteen miles into the ride, we connected with the Waterfront Trail.  It is a mixture of on and off road bike lanes, roads with sharrows and paths through parks.  It is hard to follow, but there were hundreds of cyclists today, so we could just follow the people ahead of us most of the time.

Parts of the Waterfront Trail and wide and well paved.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some parts of the trail twist through city parks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We got our first view of Lake Ontario from the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We saw two other tandem couples today.  We slowed and waved, but both of them just smiled, waved back and went on.  No one was in the mood to stop and talk today, I guess.  

After a quick McDonald's lunch, we visited the Oakville Musuem.  It is housed in the estate of Oakville's founder, William Chisholm.  It was interesting to learn about the family and the various members who had owned the estate.  They didn't allow flash photography, so again, no pictures.

The final leg of the ride took us past the big estate homes along Lakeshore Drive in Oakville and on to our friends' home in Burlington.  Dave and Sharon are our snowbird neighbors in the winter.  They are such a pleasure to be with and we're looking forward to our visit with them.

Lake Ontario
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lake Ontario
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 4,843 miles (7,794 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0