Day 124 Peterborough, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2019

Day 124 Peterborough, ON

Heart 1 Comment 0

We worked hard today with over 2000 ft of climbing.  The weather was perfect and we had a tailwind much of the day, so we did have a little boost from Mother Nature.

We first visited Empire Cheese and Butter Co-Op, which has been making cheese since the 1870's.  It is a true cooperative,  owned and run by local dairy farmers.  Since we're on the bike, we didn't buy much, but we had to get some fresh cheese curds - very good.

Our next stop was in the riverfront town of Campbellford.  In a park on the banks of the Trent River, is the giant toonie statue.  The bear on the toonie was designed by a local artist.

Campbellford's Toonie
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

(I think the Candian currency system with $1 (loonie) and $2 (toonie) coins and no pennies is so reasonable.  I would like to see the United States do that.)

After more climbing (and a little moaning and groaning), we arrived at Curle's  Maple Products and Museum.  The Curle family arrived in Canada from Scotland in 1857.  Their farming included making maple syrup, as I guess nearly every farm would.  Over the years, the extended family pursued their own different interests in the family farming business.  Marc and Diane Curle focused on maple product production beginning in the 1970's.  Today the 7th generation of Curle's is producing maple products on the family land. 

Diane gave us the whole story on maple syrup, candy and sugar production.
Heart 3 Comment 0

They have set up a small museum with artifacts from the long family history of maple sugaring.

Heart 2 Comment 0
I think this is a sap container
Heart 2 Comment 0
A horse drawn sleigh used to be driven from tree to tree to collect sap from the buckets.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now, a system of tubes goes from individual trees to feeder tubes to a larger line and into the collection tank.
Heart 2 Comment 0
All Curle's maple products are made in this sugar shack.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. Spangler
Boy, I'd love to stay overnight there!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

All the maple syrup and candy sampling didn't sit too well with me.  I was glad to get to a Subway and have some "real food".  It was a great decision to stop at this Subway, because it was where we met Boone. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

Boone is from Korea and has been traveling by bicycle for over four years.  He has been to many countries on several continents.  He has had mostly positive experiences on the bike, with no accidents, injuries or illnesses while he's been traveling.  He has been studying English and recently passed an English language examination, so now he's been accepted into a university in Toronto.  He's headed there now to start school in a few days.  We had a great time talking with him.  Best of luck in your future, Boone!

Our last stop was at the Three Roads Farm store in Keene.  These two guys displayed a real interest in the bike.  Kerry talked to them and promised to put them on the blog.

Neil and Daniel - nice to meet you guys!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 4,671 miles (7,517 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0