Day 122 Napanee, ON - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2019

Day 122 Napanee, ON

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerInteresting profile......can't wait to read how it was.....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We got a late start this morning, even for us.  It was after 10:30 when we got underway.  The panniers didn't feel TOO heavy!

The scenery today was uninspiring.  We just rode through the country.  There were rural homes all along the way and a few small farms, but not much that made me want to reach for the camera.

We stopped at the Rideau Canal locks at Kingston Mills.  The Rideau Canal was constructed to create a passage from Lake Ontario to the Ottawa River after the War of 1812.  It was thought that the St. Lawrence River was too vulnerable to blockade by the United States, should another conflict occur.  As with the Erie Canal, it is now used primarily by recreational watercraft.  We arrived as some boats were locking through.  It is a fun process to watch.  There are fours locks here.  We watched the boats go through the third and fourth locks headed east.

The boats had already come through the first two locks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This lock is almost full.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Moving into the next lock
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waiting for the lock to fill
Heart 2 Comment 0
The gates are now opening
Heart 2 Comment 0
The gates are opened and closed manually by two people - on on each gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I didn't get a picture of the boats leaving the final lock.  They have 45 more to go through to get to Ottawa.

We rode on and I took a few more pictures.  

We saw these wood carvings for sale.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then we saw the artist at work.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I've posted a bunch of pictures of cows, but these are the first ones who've run along beside us.

These cows were really running along their pasture following us.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a pretty uneventful day, we weren't looking for any excitement only half a mile from our motel.  When we came to the "Road Closed" sign, Kerry tried his usual maneuver of just going on through.  This time, it didn't work.  There was a fence ahead we couldn't cross.  Fortunately, the detour was only two blocks and we arrived at the motel without any problem.

Kerry's forging ahead didn't work this time, but we just turned on a side street and went one block over.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKerry, I'm taking lessons from this "push through" technique! I'll first close my eyes and then bring up this image as a reinforcer.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 4,580 miles (7,371 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0