Day 117 Ormstown, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2019

Day 117 Ormstown, QC

Heart 1 Comment 0

When we started out today, we expected more farms and fields.  We didn't expect unpaved roads, but encountered one just a couple of miles into the ride.  Luckily, it was easy to ride and lasted only about 1/2 mile.  Then we could enjoy all the scenery.

Oh no, no asphalt!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The daily cow photo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yet another beautiful Quebec farm
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had fun watching this hay baler at work.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As I may have said earlier in this journal, when you live in Florida, you make a lot of Canadian friends.  We rode with two more of them today.  Richard and Louise are snowbirds who love to cycle. 

Kerry with Louise and Richard
Heart 2 Comment 0

 We first met them through volunteer work on our rail trail in Citrus County.  This was the first time we've visited them in Canada.  We met for lunch (thanks for the treat!) and then rode together for awhile on a trail near their home. 

First, we had to get on the trail. The words on the sign are not French for "All cyclists welcome"!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We got around with no problem and took off down the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a very nice trail most of the way.  As it happens, the trail surface got notably worse just past the point Richard and Louise decided it was time for them to turn around and head home.  I'm sure they didn't plan it that way!

This is the surface while we rode with Richard and Louise. I was too busy holding on to get a picture of some of the surface after they headed back home!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kerry had to do a little trail clearing at one place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
No problem, he got it all cleared.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today we saw lots of crops - carrots and onions and some things I wasn't sure about.  Then there were miles and miles of corn, soybeans and wheat.  All the corn and beans reminded us of Iowa. 

Onions
Heart 1 Comment 0
Something newly planted
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some vegetable, I think, that we didn't recognize zooming by at 10 mph.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we got off the trail, we fought a strong headwind for the last 18 miles.  But, there weren't any big hills and it didn't rain, so we shouldn't complain.

Near the end of our route, we came to this. Kerry, of course, rode in and tried to get through, but no luck this time. The bridge really was closed. Luckily, the detour was very short.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we'll leave Quebec, make a short ride through New York and end in Cornwall, ON to await another couple of friends on Wednesday morning.   Touring is wonderful!

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 4,386 miles (7,059 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0