Day 113 Sherbrooke, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2019

Day 113 Sherbrooke, QC

Heart 2 Comment 0

After a morning of leisure, we decided to ride to the Arkel factory this afternoon.  Kerry had emailed them earlier to say we'd be in town this week and they invited us to stop in.  It was not an easy ride over - this town is VERY hilly, but it was worth the trip.  Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.  We met the owner, Paul McKenzie and his colleague, Yves, and Kerry had fun showing them our bike and all the gadgets.

Paul McKenzie, Arkel owner
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerTHAT IS cool "Arkel" tour! I'm jealous!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithIt was a cool tour. We think Arkel products are excellent and now we know that the people who make them are excellent as well. We also found out that they employ a number of mentally challenged people, so we have even more reasons to keep buying their bags. It's nice when good products come from a good company.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We got a tour of the factory by Linda - who also quickly fixed a stuck zipper on the seat bag.  We were talking about the various Arkel products that we own and found out that it was Linda who talked the guys into making our custom yellow handlebar bag four years ago.  She remembered talking to Kerry about it.  Thanks, Linda!

Heart 2 Comment 0

The factory was closed today, so we got to look around without being in the way.

Cutting table
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sewing machines
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was this one guy working today.  The company employees about 15 people.

Assembler and cutter. I'm sorry that we didn't get his name
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the way back form Arkel, we saw a big crane and some guys working on a roof.  We noticed that they didn't need to come down from the roof when they needed to take a "break".  What a real convenience!

Heart 2 Comment 0

We'll be here in Sherbrooke again tomorrow.  We plan to visit with our friend Pierre and see more of the city.

Today's ride: 7 miles (11 km)
Total: 4,236 miles (6,817 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Michael and Diane RuddockIf you are next heading towards Waterloo, you'll have a lot more climbing to do. Fortunately, a really nice paved rail trail runs West from there, and then the terrain levels out.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe are looking forward to some level terrain!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago