Day 112 Sherbrooke, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2019

Day 112 Sherbrooke, QC

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had to cross a mountain to do it, but we made it to Sherbrooke today.  The weather was perfect, but the roads were not as good as on our recent routes.  We had a lot of miles of rough, broken shoulder mixed with miles of no shoulder.  We didn't have any real problems, but it doesn't make for relaxed, comfortable riding.  We did pat ourselves on the back for making the 4 mile, 525 foot climb with out too much difficulty.  As is usually the case, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

The day started with a delicious breakfast at our B&B.  Paul, our host, served avocado with smoked salmon and bleu cheese crumbles and a fried egg, fresh cheese croissant, mixed fresh fruit - and the best surprise - warm chocolate sauce to dip the fruit in.  If every breakfast were like this, I could learn to eat breakfast every day!  This B&B, the Petit Champayeur, is one of the top three B&B's of this trip.  If you're ever in Warwick, Quebec...

We are still in farm country.  Today we were back to mostly dairy farms.  The views are still beautiful.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerLooks like Lancaster, PA
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithIt does - but no horses plowing these fields!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

Though there was this one not-so-beautiful view - it looks more like rural Georgia than rural Quebec.

For a moment, I thought we were back in the Deep South - Kerry
Heart 2 Comment 2
Myron SkottWell, isn't that a slap in the face for your friends in GA.
Myron Skott
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithI should have said North Carolina - where I used to live - or Florida -where I live now. Both as just as true as Georgia. I didn't mean to offend!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

In the town of Richmond - after we conquered the mountain - we stopped at a local museum dedicated to the history of slate quarries in the area.  It was interesting to see and we had another delightful and very entertaining guide.

Marguerite and Brittany were staffing the museum today.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Brittany gave us an entertaining tour. Here she is showing Kerry how to cut slate.
Heart 3 Comment 0
He didn't have any trouble learning that skill.
Heart 3 Comment 0

To and from the museum, we had to walk the bike across the Saint-Francois River.  Kerry wasn't afraid to look at the views today.

Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the bridge
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were kayakers on the river
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our next stop after Richmond was at a convenience store in Windsor.  We saw that they had some tables, so it was a good place to take a break. The staff was very friendly and helpful while we were choosing what we wanted. We got a couple of snacks and soft drinks and sat and rested a little while.  When we went to pay, the manager said the bill was on him, he wanted to do it as a gift to us.  What a nice surprise (almost as nice as warm chocolate sauce at breakfast).  I have to say again that it is the people we meet, sometimes only for a few minutes, that makes these trips so much fun for us.

Jessy, Emilie and Marc at the Esso in Windosr. All of you brightened our day.
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we were less than five miles from our B&B, we came to the dreaded detour sign (a word that has exactly the same bad meaning in French as in English).  Kerry walked the bike up to a young guy who said we could go through and that there was more construction ahead we should be able to get through also.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We got to the second construction area about a mile farther on, but weren't so lucky there.  There was no walking through this one, but the detour around it was only about 1/4 of a mile.  We felt relieved that it was so easy.

Heart 2 Comment 0

 We got checked in at the B&B and took a short walk through old downtown Sherbrooke.  Sherbrooke is younger and more international than the towns we've been in recently.  We had a good dinner at a Lebanese restaurant and are looking forward to spending more time exploring tomorrow.

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 4,229 miles (6,806 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0