Day 111 Warwick, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2019

Day 111 Warwick, QC

Bucolic

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was the kind of day that keeps us bike touring.  The weather was good, the roads were good, the scenery was lovely and the people we met were great.

Our day started with breakfast at the B&B.  The other guests were a grandfather with his two grandkids, a boy and a girl, who looked about ten and twelve.  They were from Quebec City and doing an overnight trip to Dosquet on their bikes.  We had a lot of fun talking with them at breakfast.  His English was better than my French, but we conversed in both languages.  I felt very comfortable trying to speak French with him.  It was fun to try it out and not feel bashful.

We left around 9:30AM.  It was a little chilly, but warmed up quickly with the bright sunshine.  It was such a treat to ride in the sun!  We even had a tailwind most of the day.  The route was almost all through agricultural land and was very pretty.

Most of the farms we passed seemed quite prosperous.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were enough old barns to provide atmosphere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another old barn with a newer building. I don't know what animals were housed in it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was scenic, but I don't think anyone or anything was housed here,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Most of the crops we saw today were corn and soybeans. This bean field had a whole lot of corn mixed in.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We followed the Becancour River much of the way.  I took a bunch of pictures.  (Why do we always take pictures of water?)

We didn't see any development along the river.  It was beautifully pristine.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw a lot of haying going today, as we have on all of our recent agricultural days.  It smells so good, particularly compared to the other agricultural aromas we encounter!

Heart 2 Comment 0

This guy stopped his woodcutting to wave.  Almost everyone we pass waves at us - sometimes even from their windows.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Later in the day, we began to see more wheat growing.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

We also saw this grain that is not wheat.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Mario GagnonIt seems to be oat !
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks! That's what my other commenter said as well.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Does anyone know what this is?

Heart 1 Comment 2
Jacques CharronI think it’s oat
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithThanks! Kerry guessed oats, too, but it didn't look much like the picture I found online.
See you soon.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We have to have some animals on our bucolic day.

These are really big horses
Heart 1 Comment 0
And some cows - we saw some white cows today, but they were too far away to get a decent picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I couldn't quit taking pictures of the river.

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were a few small "rapids" just before our route veered away from the river.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Our excellent touring day continued when we arrived at our B&B.  It is very nice and the host said that since we were the first arrivals, we could chose any room.  We quickly chose the only one on the first floor.  No lugging panniers up the steps tonight!  Our room overlooks the back yard and terrace, where I sat this afternoon to edit and rename the pictures I took today..

Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will ride to Sherbrooke where we are taking a two day pause and seeing our friend Pierre.  

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 4,181 miles (6,729 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0