Day 110 Dosquet, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2019

Day 110 Dosquet, QC

Heart 2 Comment 0

Someday, we're going to have a warm, sunny day  (with a tailwind, let's dream big!) to ride our bike.  Today wasn't it.  It was raining when we woke up, but had stopped by 9:30.  It looked as if the rain had passed, so we started out.  Just a few minutes later, a cold sprinkle of rain began.  It lasted for about half an hour.  We stopped and put the rain gear on ourselves and our panniers and pedaled on.

We left Levis on a nice bike trail.  There was a beautiful view of Quebec City across the river.

Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerNice image; tells a story......
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThe story is "Somebody's about to get wet."
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

On our side of the river were steep cliffs rising above river front homes.  This looked like a dangerous place for a house.  It certainly looks as if there have already been landslides here.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the river, we saw a ship carrying wind turbine blades.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, that is a amazing! Big expense item for sure.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

The wide, smooth bike trail we were riding on crossed railroad tracks with gates like this:

Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry didn't think we would make it though, but with some maneuvering and a little swearing, we got around them. 

Then, leaving Levis, we had to cross the Chaudiere River.  Ride with GPS took us on a paved bike trail through a park, the "Parc des Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere".  It looked like a good route on Google Earth, but there was a steep climb after the river.  We entered the park and as we started on the trail there was a sign which I translated as "road blocked ahead".  My translation was correct.  When we got to the bridge, there was work going on it.  Kerry asked one of the guys if we could get through and we were very happy that he allowed us to pass.  It would have been a long detour to find another way across the river.  He said that beginning tomorrow, the bridge would be impassable for a month, so our timing was great!  

The guy in the yellow vest was our road angel today!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Walking across the suspension bridge made Kerry very nervous. He isn't afraid of hardly anything, but this is one of those few things. Kerry here... What Jeanna didn't capture in this photo, were all the plywood patches that covered rotten planks. Every time I had to walk on one of those, I couldn't help but think how far down the river was.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerNow that is crazy looking. I'd be nervous Kerry!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

He certainly didn't look up to see this impressive waterfall.

This is a low water season. I think there is a lot more water coming over in the spring.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The guy told us when we got to this fence just move it and then put it back.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Once we got over the bridge, I thought the hard part was done.  Of course not!  The trail got very steep climbing up from the river and Kerry decided that Quebec wanted to kill some cyclists.  On this very steep slope, they had gates about every twenty feet.  It was like a slalom course for bikes.  I'm sure the idea is to slow down cyclists going downhill, but it seems so dangerous.  For anyone who wanted to try to ride up, it made it nearly impossible.

Looking down from near the top
Heart 3 Comment 0

We continued on the TransCanada Trail after getting through the park.  It was calm and peaceful after our trail adventures.

Heart 3 Comment 0

We left the bike trail with fifteen miles to go and road through lots of small family farms.  These cows came over and watched us go by.  I guess they don't get to see a lot out in the country.

Heart 3 Comment 0

Because it was a short day, we got in by 2:30 and had lots of time to take a shower, do laundry and play on the computer before we went to the restaurant next door where we had a delicious Caesar salad & vegetarian pizza for dinner.

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 4,125 miles (6,639 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Claude FortierTomorrow will be a beautiful day. I am very amazed about your trip. We will see each other tomorrow morning at the Auberge des Pins breakfast. Congratulations to you two!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
DAVID FAULKNERWow! what beauty and what obstacles!
As you guys know I would NEVER have crossed on that bridge.. Congrats Kerry!
Well, your getting closer and closer to O_N_T—A-R—I _O
Looking forward to seeing you both
Dave
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Claude FortierWe enjoyed meeting you and your grandchildren. It was fun for me to speak some French with you this morning.
I hope you all made it back home safely and everyone had a good time. The kids will make great touring buddies in the future.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago