Day 104 Rimouski, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2019

Day 104 Rimouski, QC

We were really happy when we reached mile 13! At about mile 17, I had to ride the brakes to keep us below 35 MPH. So much more fun than climbing at 3.5 MPH!!! - Kerry
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made it to the St. Lawrence River today.  It feels like another  milestone, as making it to Canada did in June.  It was a nice trip across New Brunswick and eastern Quebec, but we're not sorry to leave those hills behind.  It was cool today, with a few tiny sprinkles of rain this morning. 

We left Sayabec about 9:30 and climbed for several miles.  We detoured off Hwy 132 a few times to ride though little villages.  It was a pleasant, peaceful ride.  We passed several touring cyclists who waved and said "Bonjour", but no one was inclined to stop and talk.  

The area is still rural, with many farms.  This one in the distance smelled like a pig farm, but we didn't see any animals.

Heart 2 Comment 0
More beautiful views of the countryside
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I liked this old barn.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At this intersection, we reached the northernmost point of our trip.  We turned south and soon got our first glimpse of the St. Lawrence River.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode south along Hwy 132 with a view of the river all the way.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Sainte-Flavie, we stopped for lunch at Capitaine Homard (Captain Lobster).  Thanks Miriam and Anne for the recommendation!  It is very touristy, but the food was good.  If you didn't enjoy your food, you could keep yourself entertained by looking at the decor.  The entire ceiling was covered with various hanging objects.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were now in a beach tourist area.  Even though it was only about 65 degrees, people were out walking on the beach (actually mostly rocks) and even in the water.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The town of Sainte-Luce, just north of Rimouski, seems to be something of an artist colony.  There were a number of  studios and all over town we saw a variety of  wooden sculptures.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we'll continue south along the river to Trois-Pistoles.  

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 3,901 miles (6,278 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0