Day 103 Sayabec, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 5, 2019

Day 103 Sayabec, QC

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a great day - a little chilly, but we decided not to put on our long sleeved shirts and tough it out.  It was around 65 degrees when we left and in the low 70's when we finished.  Several people commented on the perfect cycling weather we had today.  We just smiled and agreed, but we really would have enjoyed another 10 degrees!

We started by visiting the salmon fishing museum across the street from our inn.  Our tour guide was Alex-anne.  She was an excellent guide, very knowledgeable and full of personality.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The building which houses the museum was a private fishing lodge from 1905-1970.  It was very expensive to join and so had quite wealthy members.  They were mostly American and English Canadian bankers.

The club's living room
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dining room - guess what's on the menu.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some of the club's canoes
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were many displays about salmon and salmon fishing, but we were having so much fun, I almost forgot about taking any pictures.

This is called the "salmon basin". They keep two salmon here for people to see.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The male salmon.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After nearly an hour here, we were ready to ride.  The main industry here is lumbering.  We found this tree nursery with 10's of thousands of tiny seedlings.  We don't know what species of tree they are.  Kerry asked a worker, but he answered in French, so we still didn't know.

Baby trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
Space for more trees
Heart 1 Comment 0
Greenhouses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some guys working with some trees a little bigger. They all looked up and waved.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped in the community of Lac-au-Saumon, which is on the shore of Lac Saumon.  The lady at the store spoke no English, but we enjoyed our efforts to communicate.  She was patient and friendly and we were able to tell her about our trip and understand her good wishes.  I am getting a little less hesitant to try out my few phrases of French.  It helps when people are so kind.

Park on the lake across the street from the depanneur.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Sometimes, I am quick enough to get a picture of unexpected roadside sights.

An interesting rooftop decoration
Heart 2 Comment 0

Closer to Sayabec, we passed several daily farms.

As we neared Sayabec, lumbering gave way agriculture, especially dairy farming.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last town we went through before Sayabec was Val-Brilant.  We got off the main road and went down this quiet residential street.

Heart 1 Comment 0
I got a beautiful picture of Lac Matapedia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just before we reached our B&B, we stopped in a grocery store for our evening drinks and snacks.  One of the employees, who speaks better English than she thinks she does, was having such a good time talking to us about our trip that she got several other employees and customers involved.  I think half the people in the store waved to use when we left.  It was one of those special feel-good travel moments.  

We have a large comfortable room in a lovely B&B tonight.  Unfortunately, we have really poor WIFI in our room, so we are camped out in the dining room this evening.  Now that this post is done, pillows and blankets are calling me.  We reach the St. Lawrence River tomorrow!

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 3,852 miles (6,199 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0