Day 102 Causapscal, QC - Two Far 2019 - Coasting Along to the Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2019

Day 102 Causapscal, QC

Another day of amazing views

Heart 2 Comment 0

We had chilly temperatures early, a couple of really steep climbs and a strong headwind all day, but none of it seemed important because we were riding through such beautiful country.

Leaving Campbellton, we followed the Ristigouche River.  Just ouside town was this paper mill.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We also saw this interesting bell tower.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is very cool. Did you hear it sound?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

A couple of long, steep climbs took us up to Morrissey Rock Park, where we were rewarded with awesome views.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerGuys, how much weight are you carrying? I know generally stupid questions, but really wanted to know. Thanjs
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThe Facts: Panniers & contents are about 60 lbs. The bike is 45-50 lbs.

The Impression: Downhill the gear weighs nothing (until we try to stop), uphill the sh*t weighs a ton!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

A few miles later, we crossed the river and entered Quebec.  We actually entered right at the confluence of the Matapedia and Ristigouche.  The Matapedia is famous for salmon fishing.  We followed the Matapedia the rest of the day.  We had a rocky cliffs on the right, the river on the left and densely wooded mountains all around us.

We were very happy to see that the road closed ahead signs were not on our route - nor was that big hill ahead. We turned right here to cross the river into Quebec.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A train trestle from New Brunswick to Quebec
Heart 2 Comment 0

Fishermen on the Matapedia

Heart 2 Comment 0

Kayakers on the Matapedia

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is an observation tower over the river.  You have to climb a steep grade to get up to it.  We decided to take a pass on that.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Here are some pictures of the drive through Quebec along the river.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
We stopped at a park with river access and one of the other tourists took our picture.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At one point, we left the highway for a little back road for two miles.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We found a small waterfall there.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the bridge on Hwy 132.  We rode back to 132 at the end of our two mile side trip.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We met two terrific touring cyclists from Montreal today.  Miriam and Anne are on their way from Montreal to the north end of Gaspe.  They each took a short ride on the tandem with Kerry and had a great time.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich McKayAmazing scenery... yet THIS is your backdrop?!?! 🤣
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithSometimes, after a long ride through remote areas, this is a beautiful sight!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

There is a covered bridge at Rothierville.  We didn't ride across it.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerA museum for salmon fishing - amazing!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We're in the town of Causapscal tonight.  There is a museum here dedicated to the history of salmon fishing.  We're planning to visit it tomorrow before we get on the road.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 3,822 miles (6,151 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Alexandre St-LaurentHello!!

I'm glad to hear that you made it to my province.

Remember: you are more than welcome to spend a night in Quebec City, if you choose to go across the St. Lawrence river (nice ferry to cross it, then easy bike on nice bike path).

Have fun!

Alexandre St-Laurent
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Lou HarminGreat pictures today. And lots of them.

miss you both

lou
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Curt & Helene ReedType your comment here
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alexandre St-LaurentGood to hear from you, Alexandre. We are loving your beautiful province. We aren't planning to visit Quebec City this year, but we will remember your offer.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedDid you guys have something to say or did you just want your names on our blog???
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Lou HarminI'm glad you're enjoying the pictures. Some days, I just can't put the camera down.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Alexandre St-LaurentTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithOk. Enjoy your ride along the St. Lawrence river! :-)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago