The Route - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2018

The Route

Heart 1 Comment 0

As my co-author noted in his "Opposites Attract" entry, I'm a planner and organizer.  I enjoy making routes and finding interesting places to see.  I can happily spend hours looking at travel sites for lodging options.  I get on Google Earth and look at every road we'll be riding.  I know many people would find this tedious and boring, but I have a lot of fun doing it. 

When we talked about going Two Far with Team A again this summer, we all decided that riding from Florida was not our first choice.  We've ridden though the southeast enough and there is just no way to plan a spring/summer/fall trip to and from Florida without some really hot riding weeks.  Both teams have family in Ohio, so that seemed to be a good starting point.  We're grateful to Alain's brother in Columbus for agreeing to let us park our car in his driveway all summer. 

We wanted to include both the KATY Trail and the Erie Canalway, so we plan to go "Trailing Through the Rust Belt".  We're incorporating trails where ever we can along the way.  We'll leave Columbus and ride west to Missouri to do the KATY, then north through Iowa and Minnesota.  We'll then turn east through Wisconsin, Michigan and Ontario to Buffalo, NY.    From Buffalo, we'll ride the Erie Canalway to Albany, then head west and south, where we'll get a few more nice trails on the way back to Columbus, Ohio.

We have a nice, round 100 days planned.  All the reservations are made.  My spreadsheet with all the details about each day's travel distance and destination, POI's, hotel information and amenities, cancellation policies and location of nearest restaurants is all done.  (Want to know which places have guest laundries or where the nearest drug store is?  It's all there :))  Now, we just have to get that new Seavo and we'll be ready to roll!

 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedGO FOR IT< ENJOY
Reply to this comment
5 years ago