The New Ride (Team S) - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

The New Ride (Team S)

Rans Seavo Recumbent Tandem

After getting a Bacchetta Corsa recumbent in November, Kerry decided that a recumbent tandem was in our future.  The joy of riding in such comfort just couldn't be sacrificed during a long tandem tour.  We did some research and chose the Rans Seavo.  The main reason for choosing the Seavo over Rans’s other tandem, the Screamer, is that the Seavo has the same size wheels on both the front and rear.  That means we can carry just one size spare tires and tubes, and that we (Kerry) can rotate the tires for longer wear.

Because we like the drive system on our Co-Motion Equator so much, we special ordered the Seavo instead of taking delivery of a stock bike.  We upgraded the wheels from 26” to 700c (which required a new fork), added a dynamo hub in the front, and added several additional bottle bosses.  The big upgrade was a Rohloff internally geared hub and belt drive.   We’re getting the Rohloff, but unfortunately, we’re not getting the belt drive because no one makes a belt long enough for a recumbent tandem.   We’ll just have to deal with chain lube, chain tattoos and greasy rags again. 

Starting the build (in April 2018)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Welding up the chain stays
Heart 1 Comment 0
Custom engineered dropouts for the Rohloff hub
Heart 1 Comment 0
Assembling the rear-end
Heart 1 Comment 0
Standing on the assembly table to get a good photo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Frame is almost complete
Heart 1 Comment 0

May 1st 2018:

Sections of the frame removed in preparation for coupler install
Heart 1 Comment 0

The engineering problems presented by the belt drive have set the project back a couple of months and now time is critical.  Today is May 1st, and we are scheduled to leave on our trip on the 13th - less than two weeks away!  We're planning to make a speed run to Kansas just as soon as the bike is built to pick it up.  That will be faster than having it shipped and we can take all our add-on accessories to mount there so it will be ready to travel when we get home.   Now if we can only get that phone call saying the bike is ready… 

May 3rd, 2018

Latest photos of build

Front boom detail
Heart 1 Comment 0
A boom for my GoPro will be attached to the bottom bosses. The boss on the side will be used for a headlight mount

Heart 1 Comment 0

May 4th update.

Rear Pannier Mock-up. The rack is a stainless steel Tubus Cosmo. Note the hard attachment point Jerrell added to anchor the front of the rack. This thing should be bullet proof!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Detail view of custom mount for rear pannier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Mike AylingWe have had a Thorn DF tandem with Rohloff for about five years and I am well over derailleur bikes.
I have just changed our timing chain and it is a weighty bit of metal so I assume you would have saved a lot of weight if you could have had belt drive on your new recumbent.
Have a great tour!

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Boris FayferKerry, give more spec details. So far look like impressive bike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
DAVID FAULKNERKerry
Are you sure this is a bike? Hah hah!
Dave
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERYeah - a double La-Z-Boy on wheels
Reply to this comment
5 years ago