The dustbelt - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

The dustbelt

We're riding the Katy trail. If you're following this blog, get used to that introduction. The trail is well over 200 miles, and at our leisurely pace we're going to be here for a while.

The trail has a crushed limestone surface. It's very well maintained, but dry and dusty at the moment. Don't get me wrong, we much prefer dusty to the alternative of muddy, but let's just say our bikes are looking forward to a bath when we get to the end of the trail.

Often the Katy trail runs between steep bluffs and the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was almost impossible to get a photo of the high bluffs from the trail because of the tree canopy. This was one of the few open spots.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wide Missouri. Sometimes right next to the trail, sometimes miles away.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There are historical markers at regular intervals describing the progress of Lewis and Clark as they worked their way upstream. They covered an average of just under 12 miles per day through Missouri. Seeing the current in the river gave me a new appreciation for just how hard they were working. We covered 5 times that distance today, but we weren't hauling a 3 year supply of goods.

We are making better time than Lewis and Clark. The locals are impressed with our speed.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Other historical markers mention Daniel Boone, who retired here from Kentucky when he got a land grant from Spain.

Lewis and Clark aren't the only ones who faced obstacles. I think the tandem can just about fit under this downed tree.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were fewer mulberries today, but more strawberries and a weird asparagus looking plant that grows to the height of a stoker. It doesn't smell like asparagus, and it has a hollow core. Perhaps it's the result of a misguided attempt to create a bamboo/asparagus hybrid.

Strawberries
Heart 1 Comment 0
Living off the land, part 1.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Asparagus stuff growing in the woods.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here it is growing next to a field.
Heart 1 Comment 1
It's hollow, like bamboo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It grows as tall as a stoker.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Missouri corn is going to be way more than knee high by the 4th of July.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Living off the land, part 2. We picked these to go in our salad at Joey's Bird House, the B&B we are staying at tonight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Anne AbbateYour plant is an equisetum or horsetail. Some varieties are considered ornamental; others are considered weeds.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago