Oswego River - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

Oswego River

When the Erie Canal was expanded in the 20th century, they included a branch up to the town of Oswego on the shores of Lake Ontario. That branch takes advantage of the Oswego River, which is formed by the confluence of the Oneida and Seneca rivers.

A branch of the canal heads north to Oswego.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Long before the Oswego River became part of the Erie canal system, it was a transportation route from Lake Ontario into the interior. The British Fort Ontario was located at the mouth of the river. In the war of 1812, a British force came from Fort Ontario, up the Oswego River, past Oneida Lake, on their way to the Mohawk River valley. They were stopped at Fort Stanwix and the battle of Oriskany, never reaching the Mohawk valley.

Our route today took us down the Oswego River to Oswego, then along the shore of Lake Ontario. The river is popular with recreational boaters.

The Erie Canal - straight as a ruler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Oswego River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching Oswego.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The locks on the Oswego River have the same blue and yellow color scheme as all of the locks and tugboats on the Erie Canal. I hope the state of NY got a good deal on that blue and yellow paint, because they must use millions of gallons of it.

A lock on the Oswego River with the familiar blue and yellow color scheme.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oswego, looking upstream from the mouth of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking towards Lake Ontario from the mouth of the Oswego River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Oswego is home to a good looking SUNY campus. Students can enjoy a stunning view of Lake Ontario. I suspect they also enjoy quite a bit of snow during the winter.

Welcome to SUNY Oswego.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Admissions hall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dorms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Ontario completes the set, we've now seen all the great lakes on this trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoyed both the rural NY scenery and the perfect cycling weather. We have been insanely lucky with weather, even as other parts of the US are suffering brutal heat waves and torrential rains.

It would be nice to get a closer look at that farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route turns, I guess we'll get our chance to check out the farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More than ready to chop all this firewood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful house, but maybe too far gone to repair.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting collapsed structure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too bad I don't have a zoom to capture a better image of the fox in front of the barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have some homework for Bill. We've been seeing this grass/reed/sedge growing in marshy areas and in roadside ditches, but have no idea what it is. In places it is over 8 feet tall.

Mystery grass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another mystery plant. Bees were enjoying the pod that had opened.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltButtonbush.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalanthus_occidentalis
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Purple loosestrif and cattails is a common combination.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Living off the land. A plumb tree down the street from our B&B provided dessert.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0