Day 98 Mt. Vernon, OH - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2018

Day 98 Mt. Vernon, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were so happy yesterday to arrive dry after the dismal forecast.  The rain finally came - it rained hard while we were having dinner and then we were rewarded with a beautiful rainbow.  We had more rain overnight.  This is the way cyclists enjoy rain!

Great weather for enjoying delicious Mexican food in a nice warm restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a very nice, relaxing ride today over miles of paved rail trail.  Only a few miles of today's route were on the road.  The weather was good, but a little chilly for Team S.

We left Millersburg and took the Holmes County Trail to Killbuck.  There we had seven miles of somewhat hilly, and almost no traffic, road to Glenmont, where the trail resumes.  

The road from Killbuck to Glenmont was a little hilly, but very scenic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a break in Glenmont and had fun talking to Dot Crane manager of  the Glenmont Market.  She is very interested in serving cyclists and making them welcome in her store.  If you ever cycle the Holmes County Trail, you should stop and meet Dot.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This part of the trail was just paved a few months ago.  It is good how quickly a new trail benefits local businesses.  As we were leaving Glenmont, a woman on a small ATV stopped to ask about our trip.  She had just dropped off her husband for a run on the trail where we were headed.  He was quite surprised a little later when we all four rode by and called out "Hi, Tom!".

This newly paved section of trail climbs and descends over a ridge, but at railroad grades.  It was really nice to ride.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The Holmes County Trail connects to the Mohican Valley Trail near Brinkhaven, OH.  There you cross the "Bridge of Dreams", one of the best known features of central Ohio's trails.

Heart 2 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltDoes it lead to the field of dreams?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe not. Everyone knows the field of dreams is next to a cornfield. Surprisingly, this bridge was one of the few spots in Ohio that was not next to a cornfield.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltYeah, Iowa with its field is a ways from Ohio with its bridge... I'm in Dayton, about as far southwest of Columbus as the bridge is northeast.

My leading comment has wanted to be spewed forth for quite a while, and the picture gave me the moment...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Bill ShaneyfeltDayton was originally scheduled as one of our first stops on this trip because we wanted to visit the air Force museum. Unfortunately the Memphis Belle B17 was going on display that weekend and no hotels were available, so we rerouted a bit north to the Neil Armstrong museum.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Mohican Valley Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Danville, OH, the Mohican Valley Trail ends and after a short on road section, the Kokosing Gap Trail begins.  We were on the Kokosing Gap Trail all the way to our hotel in Mt. Vernon.

Kokosing Gap Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met these three friendly guys out on a day ride from Millersburg. It was great to meet you all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old railroad trestle outside Mt. Vernon
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was a really good day.

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 4,461 miles (7,179 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0