Day 94 Austinburg, OH - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2018

Day 94 Austinburg, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

We woke up to thunderstorms this morning, but, as forecast, they passed by about 8AM and we had clear skies - and tailwinds! - all day.  We had about 26 miles to go before we reached Ohio.  The roads were good and traffic was light.  Several miles before we got to the Ohio line, we were dismayed to see a sign saying "Grooved Pavement Ahead".  After experiencing over three miles of that a couple of days ago, we really didn't want to do it again.  Happily, the sign didn't keep up with the road work already accomplished.  We had this beautiful, smooth new pavement all the way to the state line.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were happy to get back to Ohio.  It's the final leg of our trip and we're in the home stretch now.  However, Ohio wasn't very welcoming to cyclists.  As we crossed the state line, we lost the shoulder and the pavement deteriorated significantly.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We've been near one of the Great Lakes almost every day since we got to Lake Superior at Duluth on July 2.  Today we got our last view of Lake Erie before we turned south to ride to Columbus.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode through Ashtabula to get on the Western Greenway Trail.  

We love paved, flat, shady rail trails!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We'll be riding another 25 miles on this trail tomorrow.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 4,275 miles (6,880 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0