Day 92 Erie, PA - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 16, 2018

Day 92 Erie, PA

Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Dunkirk this morning under a little bit of sunshine.  The forecast rain chances had diminished from last night, so we expected a nice day.  Except for that persistent headwind, we got what we expected.

There were several miles of road work on the route just before we got to Pennsylvania.  We didn't have any problems getting through the one lane sections, but we didn't enjoy the three plus miles of grooved pavement we had to ride.  

We rode slowly and carefully over this part.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a good surface for bicycle tires
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were thrilled to get to the Pennsylvania line and a normal asphalt surface.  

These folks were celebrating reaching Pennsylvania, too, we guessed. We didn't stop to talk.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The fruit of the day was grapes.  We rode through the largest concord grape producing area of the USA.  Most of the grapes are grown for Welch's juice, but there are some grown for wine making.  

This was a beautiful view of a vineyard with the large homes and Lake Erie in the background. Too bad the lake doesn't show at all in this picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We visited two wineries today and had a few samples.  Viktoriya and I sampled dry reds, Alain tried a couple of sweet ones and Kerry drank grape juice.  We had a good time.

The bikes waited patiently outside while we toured and sampled.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will enjoy a long awaited rest day here in Erie.  It's been nine days since we had a day off the bike and Team S is ready!

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 4,223 miles (6,796 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0