Day 85 Rome, NY - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2018

Day 85 Rome, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we rode back to Rome over much of the same route we followed going from Rome to Fort Plain five days ago.  We chose not to retrace the miles on the narrow, slick and slippery Canalway path from Utica to Rome.  Instead, we took the road, which had a good surface, but was a lot hillier than the trail.  I'm not sure whether the hilly good surface road was preferable to the flat bad surface trail.  Team S is so spoiled by Florida riding - we want flat and paved!

Not all of the route was paved today.  We got on this section early in the day.  Team S decided to ride it, but Team A elected to take the road.  It had some slippery spots from last night's rain, but it was flat :)  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Part of the route was over an old rail line.  Coming into Little Falls, we went through this section cut through rock.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At our last convenience store stop today, we noticed these roof decorations.  Probably an easy question for most of you, but what are they?

Heart 0 Comment 2
Gail CullinanJerry says that "tabs" on the roof are to keep ice/snow from falling on people.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Gail CullinanI guessed that's what they were. Fortunately, I've never lived anyplace such a thing would be needed!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

At the same place, we noticed these things hanging from the canopy over the pumps.  Another easy question - what are they?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will finish our backtracking and ride into a new town.  We'll be done with the Erie Canal.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,880 miles (6,244 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Dave CardarellaThe roof adornments are to keep the snow from sliding off. Anyone from FL has never seen them.

The tubes under the gas pump canopy are heat sensors used to detect a fire.
They probably have something similar in FL.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Dave CardarellaSo the short answer is Fire and Ice???
Reply to this comment
5 years ago