Day 79 Rome, NY - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2018

Day 79 Rome, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

We have to call today another rain day.  It rained very lightly from the time we left Syracuse until our first stop sixteen miles into the ride.  We got damp, but not really wet.  The rest of the day it was very cloudy, but we never had more than just a few drops of rain.  The worst thing about it was getting the bikes dirty on the unpaved trail after the guys spent so much time cleaning them two days ago.

We left Syracuse in a light sprinkle.  The downtown streets were very cycle friendly,  with the bright green painted bike lanes on many of the streets.  It was a pretty big climb out of Syracuse, but after that today's route was flat.  

Cycling through downtown Syracuse was easy. I didn't get a picture of any of the green bike lanes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just a few miles east of Syracuse, we got back on the canalway trail and rode on it all the way to Rome.

I like these morning views of the water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a number of paved sections of trail today.  Asphalt rules!

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first stop was at the Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum.  It is built on the site of canal dry docks, which were found buried under decades of dirt and overgrowth in 1985.  The site has been excavated and restored.  The dry docks were used for repair and maintenance of the canal boats.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The site also includes a canal boat model, reconstructed general store, sawmill, blacksmith shop and exhibits about life on the canal boats.

It was still raining a little while we were touring the museum, but the bikes had a clean, dry place to wait for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met this touring cyclist today who is on his way to Buffalo, then on to Canada.  We had a nice talk, but didn't get his name.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We also came across a little "trail art" on the path.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Just before we got to Rome, we went by Lock 21.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are happy to have escaped heavy rain today and looking forward to a dry tomorrow!

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 3,630 miles (5,842 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0