Day 76 Rochester, NY - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2018

Day 76 Rochester, NY

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a good ride along the Erie Canal today.  The weather was great and the trail surface was an easily rideable  crushed stone most of the way.

On the way out of Medina, we saw the tug DeWitt Clinton still docked where we had the excellent tour and Erie Canal tugboat tutorial yesterday.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Just east of Medina, we came to this waterfall  (not on the canal!)

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The canal was peaceful and serene today.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Much of the canal runs through farm land and along small towns, but we rode through this heavily wooded section today.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning, we passed the northernmost point on the Erie Canal.  I'll have to check with our in house geographer, but I think we passed the northernmost point of Trailing the Rust Belt near Bemidji, MN a few weeks ago.  Is that right, Alain?

Heart 0 Comment 0

These rental houseboats are a popular way to enjoy the canal.  We saw several between Brockport and Rochester.  They all had bicycles on board.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've met a number of other touring cyclists both at the Hart House and on the trail in the last two days.  It's always fun to talk to others who are out bike touring.  I didn't get any pictures to share, but it was good to meet you all!

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 3,487 miles (5,612 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Carol CollettI'm really enjoying your tour. I met you on the White Pine along with my friend and my dog. We were honored to see our pictures included in the blog that day. Anyway, you are giving me lots of ideas for future tours.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago