Day 63 Evart, MI - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2018

Day 63 Evart, MI

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a great day.  Our route was almost entirely on rail trails.  We rode the White Pine Trail to Reed City, then the Pere Marquette Trail to Evart.  It was a little chilly when we left Cadillac, but it warmed up and we had bright blue skies all day.

The trail ran through woods and farms. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 We saw a large beaver lodge.

Heart 0 Comment 0

About ten miles down the trail, we encountered the dreaded detour sign.

Team A has already crossed the barricade and is on their way
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to forge ahead and hope for the best and our optimism was rewarded with a clear, unobstructed ride to the barricade at the other end of the trail closure.

We didn't find any damage to the trail along the "closed" section
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch in Reed City at the Seven Slot Grille.  The decor paid homage to all things Jeep.  While we were eating, Carol came over to welcome us to Reed City and thank us for stopping.  She was a lifelong resident and a good ambassador for her town.

It was fun talking with Carol, a Reed City booster
Heart 1 Comment 0

Reed City is an attractive little town.  According to Carol, the General Mills Yoplait plant is what is keeping the town alive now.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Reed City, we left the White Pine Trail and picked up the Pere Marquette trail to Evart.

View of the Muskegon River near Evart
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we got to our hotel in Evart, we found that it was full because of a dulcimer festival this week.  Team A talked to some of the players and learned that they would be having an informal session in the breakfast room tonight that we were welcome to attend.  We stopped in to listen after dinner and had a wonderful time listening to them play and learning a little about the history of dulcimers and this annual festival.  It's been going on for 46 years and one of the men there tonight has participated in the last 40.

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,902 miles (4,670 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0