Day 6 Zionsville, IN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2018

Day 6 Zionsville, IN

The medical provider tour
Heart 0 Comment 0

                                                "Rerouted by a Router".

Kerry here today…

My finger wound started to look a little infected this morning, so the combined effort of all three of my traveling companions convinced me to seek medical attention.  Obtaining that medical care proved problematic. 

Asking at the hotel front desk, we were told that there was a care clinic just across the street and an IU (Indiana University) emergency care clinic a couple of miles away, but in the wrong direction of our day’s route. Happy to hear there was a clinic so close by, we walked across the street, only to be told that they did not treat lacerations.  At that point I said to just load up the bike and we would look for something along our way. 

A few miles down the road we saw another IU clinic and stopped in, only to be told that they were not an urgent care clinic, but maybe they could work me in by noon.  When I said I didn’t want to wait that long, the receptionist said that there was quick care clinic in the Kroger's just across the street.  So off to clinic #3. 

We were seen by a nurse practitioner right away, but after looking at my finger said she could not treat it and said that we needed to go to the IU emergency care clinic which was about five miles away. (This was the same clinic that the hotel told us about earlier.) The NP re-bandaged the finger, gave us directions and did not charge me, which was very nice.  So off we went, riding due east,away from our day’s planned destination.

Upon arriving at clinic #4, we were once again seen right away.  After looking at my finger, the doctor took a photo and sent it to a friend, who is an ER physician.  The friend's professional medical assessment was “YUCK”.  Both physicians said that I needed to go to a hospital ER to have deeper cleaning of the wound than could be done at the clinic. Once again, I was re-bandaged and sent on my way without being charged.

Luckily, the hospital was west of the clinic, so at least we would be heading in the right direction.  We arrived destination #5 only to find that this was not going to be quick or cheap (I have no idea how much this will cost, but US healthcare costs are a whole other issue!)   After an hour’s wait, an ER physician looked briefly at the wound, did a culture, consulted a hand surgeon by phone, then prescribed topical and oral antibiotics.  No cleaning or any other treatment was done.  I hope he made the right decision and this wound is going to heal.  After being told extensive debridement was likely needed, then having nothing done but more antibiotics, Jeanna (who is a PA) is feeling very concerned. We'll follow this treatment plan and see what happens.  The good thing is my finger really doesn’t hurt and it is not swollen or anything, so we’ll hope for the best. 

By the time I was released from the ER, got my prescriptions filled and had lunch, it was after 3PM and we still had almost 60 miles to go.  Throughout all this, Team A was very understanding and helpful.  After a brief discussion, we decided to cut the route short and find a nearby hotel.  Alain worked his magic with his phone and found a motel that was only 15 miles away and very near our original planned route.  By 5:00 we were checked into our rooms.  We had an enjoyable evening doing a little shopping for dinner and then playing some cards. 

Luckily, tomorrow was supposed to be a day off, so while today's little adventure means  we won’t get a rest day, our trip remains on schedule.

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 260 miles (418 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0