Day 5 Westfield, IN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2018

Day 5 Westfield, IN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a good ride today.  The rain that was forecast didn't fall.  We had just a few sprinkles after lunch. It was warm.  Most of the route was on good roads.  The places with rumble strips had enough shoulder to the right to ride on.  Many miles of  the route were on virtually no traffic farm roads.

We rode past miles and miles of farms and fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The corn is looking taller each day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This looks like "no till" bean planting to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were also lots of fields that appeared unplanted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked this old farmhouse and barns.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flies in the face of tranquility
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm getting better at taking pictures while we're riding.  I get to look around while Kerry captains the bike and get these nice panoramic views. But, if I look straight ahead, I have this view.

The stoker's view
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had two rail trails to ride today, the Midland Trace and the Monon, both between Noblesville and Westfield at the end of our route.  It was a nice, peaceful way to finish our ride.

The Midland Trace Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0

Checking in hotels at the end of the day is sometimes a little (or a lot) aggravating.  Our promised first floor rooms aren't always available without a hassle and not every front desk clerk is as friendly as we would like.  Checking in at the Hampton Inn in Westfield was a pleasure.  Desmond and Jane acted as if they were just delighted to welcome us and our rooms were exactly as we had requested.  This is how every hotel check in should be!

Thanks Jane and Desmond for making us welcome (and for the DC)!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had dinner with some snowbird tandem friends, Tom and Karen.  They live in Noblesville, IN and come to our home county in Florida every March.  They ride every day in Florida, then go back to Indiana in April to enjoy more snow:).  We've had a lot of fun riding with them in Florida the last years.  We didn't get to ride together today, but it was nice to see them on their home turf.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 229 miles (369 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Anne AbbateOK, I give up. Why do your Total Miles count down?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Alain AbbateTo Anne AbbateWe just switched over from putting our latest entries at the bottom of the blog to putting the latest entries at the top. This means the top entry now has the highest total milage.

We made this change when we realized that after a couple of months you would need to scroll down through hundreds of entries to see the newest entries.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago