Day 4 Muncie, IN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2018

Day 4 Muncie, IN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We awoke to a much improved weather forecast this morning.  It was very cool when we left, but NO RAIN and by lunch there was even a little sun and it was warm enough for me take off my jacket and tights - meaning over 70.  Team A considered the starting temperature of low 50's this morning "pleasant".

Our first stop was Fort Recovery, OH, the site of a crushing defeat of the US Army by Native Americans in 1791.  The fort and museum were closed on Sunday morning, but Team A took several pictures.

Mural in Fort Recovery, OH
Heart 0 Comment 0

We proceeded into Indiana on a small farm road which was great for cycling but too small to have a sign welcoming us to Indiana, so we can't include that almost obligatory in a touring journal picture of crossing a state line.  

Most of our roads today were very good for cycling.   We had one long stretch of the dreaded rumble strips cut right into shoulder, but the rest of the roads were good.  

We arrived at our hotel before 3PM, got our laundry done and now have a relaxing evening ahead.  We have decided not to worry about tomorrow's 80% chance of rain forecast :). 

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 177 miles (285 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Michael SchoenMuncie, IN - another stop of fond memories in "my need for speed". Way back when ..... the drag strip in Muncie had "run what you brung" on Sunday afternoon. Anybody could drag race with whatever car they came to the track. My mother had one of the first Oldsmobile Starfire convertibles off the production line. She assumed that I was "cruising for chicks" when I borrowed her pride and joy on a Sunday. I was 22 years old and graduating from college before I finally told her that I was actually going down to Muncie to race her car.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago